Monkees Singer Davy Jones

Dead at 66

From Heart Attack

2/29/2012 11:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Davy Jones died after suffering a heart attack this morning.
Davy Jones
-- lead singer of The Monkees -- died after suffering a heart attack this morning ... TMZ has learned.

An official from the medical examiner's office for Martin County, Florida confirmed with TMZ they received a call from Martin Memorial Hospital informing them that Jones had passed away.

We're told Davy suffered the heart attack at a ranch near his Florida home, where he was visiting his horses. Davy began experiencing distress while he was sitting in his car, and that's where a ranch hand found him.

0229_ranch_TMZ
The ranch hand told Sheriff's detectives ... the singer began to complain that he was not feeling well and was having trouble breathing. Paramedics were called and Jones was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.  Authorities say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Jones is survived by his wife Jessica and 4 daughters from previous marriages. He was 66-years-old.  Jones was married to Jessica Pacheco -- his 3rd wife.

Jones joined The Monkees in 1965 ... along with Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork ... and together they churned out a bunch of hugely popular songs including 3 number 1 hits --  "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

0229_davy_jones_remembering_footer
The group was initially cast by TV producers who wanted to create a scripted series about an actual rock n' roll band.  But the group exploded, and Jones in particular became a Beatles-caliber heartthrob.

The Monkees songs were covered by huge bands like Coldpay, and Smash Mouth's version of "I'm a Believer" was famously featured in "Shrek."

Davy's last performance was on February 19th in Oklahoma -- the night before, he performed "Daydream Believer" and "It's Nice to Be with You" at the BB King Blues Club in NYC ... and he looked totally fine (video below).

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

campy

Monkey see monkey do.

Carl

He dies while people like Snooki and Chris Brown keep on going. Unfair world.

myopinion

RIP Davy you will be missed...I had a crush on him when I was a little girl I always wanted to watch the monkeys so I could see him...so sad.

melanie

You could have picked a better picture for him! seriously...he was one of my first crushes as a young girl. Will break out my Monkees records today!

Patrice

I am completely saddened by this. Details Harvey! Details please!! Loved him. A talented performer and a very nice man. RIP Davey.

jacksonorleans

I was so gonna marry him when I grew up back in the days. Just saw him singing at a party recently and he looked great. RIP Davy and prayers for his family, friends and fans

andre`

So sorry for this. He was great on the Brady Bunch Movie when he did that singing number

Saints fan

RIP Davy, Condolences to his family.

CA Girl

66 years of age is still pretty young, and I'm a little shocked. I used to LOVE watching the Monkees during the 60's week after week. This particular death hits home with me as it reminds me that my own life is nearer the end than the beginning. My very best wishes to the family: Your Dad was always the "cute one" of the group.

Luv2cook2

RIP man, I used to love that show!

Kelly

OMG was he druggie?

ViableV

Rest in peace Davey, thanks for the memories, you'll be missed.

RaffyBStatenIsland

Whoa! I guess one of the four had to be the first to die, but this is a shock.

dd

Oh damn!

Arcadia Rink

R.I.P. Davy Jones. Condolences to family, friends and fans.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments