Davy Jones

Official Cause of Death

Heart Attack

3/1/2012 10:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0229_davy_jones_EX_02
Davy Jones died from a heart attack ... this according to the Martin County Medical Examiner.

TMZ has learned ... an autopsy was performed at 10:30 AM EST, and doctors determined Jones died from an abnormal heart rhythm caused by coronary artery atherosclerosis -- in other words, a severe heart attack.

The M.E. still has toxicology results pending, but it was obvious from the autopsy that the heart attack killed the lead singer of the Monkees.

TMZ broke the story ... Jones died yesterday after complaining of shortness of breath.

0301_davy_jones_footer

awards

RIP Davy! Thanks for the memories!

Jason W

I so wish I could have seen them this summer in ATL. RIP sir. You are a class act.

Googie

R.I.P Davy Jones. When I think of Davy, I remember his smile, upbeat music, good times, good memories. The Monkees would not have been a hit without Davy.

carole

My head keeps singing "Daydream Believer," by Jones. he was too young to die. love his songs. R.I.P., Davey..

Silverado Mom

I always think of Mickey as the lead singer. But Davey did it some of the time. I saw them at Knotts Berry Farm. It was so great. Such a great guy he was. I'm glad he was able to have the horses he always loved, and still play music and do concerts at his age. He was quite the talent at so many things.

She's baaaack

For the sake of his legacy I'm hoping the tox reports come back benign but he had heart disease so maybe the rest is history. I know he had some battles with alcoholism, but I think he had conquered that demon. Your fans stuck with you all the way to the end. Your sings are fresh as ever. R.I.P. Davy.

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

At least thank Goodness it wasn't drug related. That's three famous people now in a week now..that old adage: Houston, Jones and last night Andrew Breitbart and he's from that area and crowd out west until he had an epiphany and escaped the chains of liberalism. ;)

JimmydeansausageCo.

Sorry he's gone.

Celebrity Death pool is active lately...

cawobeth

This is very sad. I also find what guitarist Mike Nesmith especially heart-felt (see the end of article here)- http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/monkees-singer-davy-jones-dead-at-66-20120229

Deborah

I bet he wasn't full of drugs. Love you Davey Jones. This group was my first crush. Oh my gosh I'm getting old.

Deborah

RIP in peace Davey Jones. You were one of the good guys.

SouthernGal820

So sad. Loved watching their show when I was a kid.

D

Loved their silly show........watched it all the time.

Criss

Why do they keep referring to him as the lead singer? Wasn't it kind of equal between him and Micky, with Mike and Peter from time to time?

cawobeth

Of all media outlets, it is TMZ that the Monkees web-site chose to quote for the announcement of Davey's death in their news-feed. http://new.monkees.net/

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments