'Idol' Contestant

Bad Kidneys

Won't Keep Me Off Show

3/16/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0315_phil-philips_ai_ex
"American Idol" contestant Phillip Phillips' bum kidney will NOT end his run on the show -- TMZ has learned, he's still determined to compete ... even after undergoing an extremely painful medical procedure.

TMZ broke the story, Phillip -- who has a long kidney stone history -- was rushed to a medical facility last week, complaining of some nasty abdominal pain.

According to sources, Phillip underwent a procedure to install a ‘stent’ in his kidney -- a kind of medical tube thing -- to help alleviate a blockage caused by kidney stones.

Here’s the catch -- stents are super painful ... the kind of pain that makes it hard to compete on a nationally-televised singing competition.

But Phillip's dad tells us, his kid wants to stay in the competition as long as possible -- despite the excruciating pain caused by the stent ... and won’t have it removed 'til his "Idol" run is done.

Kid really does have some serious stones.

Kym

Phillip, sing Beautiful Baby..it's a winner for you. Or something by Bob Dylan...All Along the Watchtower ;P

Jean

Please do "Smooth" by Santana . Your voice is perfect for it.

mynette

So why the pretend//girlfriend nurse????

mynette

So his girlfriend lives with him to take care of him???? REALLY!!!???

robert

i've had stent before and it's not uncomfortable except for the few minutes after the procedure, I was later operated for my kidney stones since it was too big (laser and ESWL wont do) but i was out of the hospital a day after. It's no big deal.

Teri

Gee, I guess I'm something amazing because I had stents put in on April 4 for both kidneys and the only time I feel any pain is when I bend too far to the side. Didn't realize I was supposed to be in agony from them.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4