Jason Russell's Wife

He Does Not Have

a Substance Abuse Problem

3/17/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0317_jason_russell_getty_bn
The wife of Jason Russell, the documentarian who was detained Thursday for running through the streets of San Diego naked, claims he does not have a problem with drugs or alcohol.

Danica Russell issued a statement addressing the bizarre incident, saying, "Let us say up front that Jason has never had a substance abuse or drinking problem, and this episode wasn’t caused by either of those things. But yes, he did some irrational things brought on by extreme exhaustion and dehydration."

Russell was captured on video obtained by TMZ ... standing on a street corner and pounding his fists on the sidewalk.

Russell is being held on a 5150 psychiatric hold so authorities can decide if he poses a danger to himself or others.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

LilVal

WHAT!? He has a wife? I thought he was gay and adopted his son.

LetsGoToTheMall

Hmmm.... Out of all my times being dehydrated and exhausted for what reason or another. I tend to just go home and turn my self off. Not run around the streets having a party.

jack

maybe it's an evangelical christian thing? Poor bugger needs help, thats for sure.

LetsGoToTheMall

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

For one thing, it is possible for a person to take drugs and their spouse not know.

For another, maybe somebody drugged him.

For another, sane people don't go crazy and masturbate in public.

For another, people get dehydrated everyday and don't masturbate in public.

I would find the explanation more believable if they said he had hypothermia...

James

I hate to fall for stereotypes, but he sure looks gay in this picture!

Mel

I call bull****. Normal people suffering from dehydration and exhaustion do not strip down to their birthday suit and pound the pavement and masturbate in public. They also do not get 5150 holds either. Remember Brit? He's either a complete nut job or he's on something. Next you will be posting that he's entered rehab.

NobodySpecial

In my 50 years on this planet I have never heard of "extreme exhaustion and dehydration" causing one to beat off on a street corner. This is either drugs or just plain out of his mind.

shaheem

A guy that finally got the exposer he wanted, his do***entary was getting alot of press and attention from the public. and then he goes and make himself look like a complete idiot in public? doesn't make sense, he had to much to lose. Let me guess the powers did this to him? he saw something he wasn't suppose to see? i sense conspiracy.

Rae

The amount of pressure he must have been under made him snap. Don't let it defeat you, dude. Keep Kony2012 going! He snapped under the pressure, but his message is true!

northern gypsy

sorry...i'm not buying what she's selling !!!
i agree with the above comment...
normal people would hydrate and get some rest...
this fellow was anything but normal !!!

Phreaky

#Exhaustion2012 - Wont you please donate today to stop the Exhaustion before it becomes epidemic? Please, please donate before there is one more rehab admission caused by exhaustion.

Tom Liebengood

Where was Jesus in all this?

bob_d

I served in Iraq in 2005 and 2006 and spent days without sleep in military vehicles that could reach 120 F. I never saw someone strip down naked and start masturbating on vehicles. In my college days I have seen people do peculiar things similar things to what Jason Russell did on drugs. This guy was high as a kite, no two ways about it.

Enough