Model Lauren Scruggs

REJECTS $200k Settlement

in Airplane Propeller Accident

3/27/2012 6:38 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball
Lauren Scruggs -- the model who lost a hand and an eyeball when she was struck by an airplane propeller last year -- claims she shot down a $200k settlement offer from the plane's insurance company ... and now she's suing for much, much more.

Scruggs filed legal docs in Dallas, Texas ... claiming the insurance company "verbally offered" to pay her $200k for the Dec. 3, 2011 accident ... and they explained it's the MOST the insurance company can pay out to a "passenger."

But Scruggs is calling BS ... claiming she shouldn't be considered a "passenger" because "she was not in the aircraft or getting in or out of it at the time of the incident."

The 23-year-old model argues she had "completed her exit from the aircraft prior to the time of the incident and was physically located on the tarmac when the incident happened. Until struck by the propeller, she was not in physical contact with the aircraft after her exit."

Scruggs is asking for unspecified damages ... but we're guessing she wants WAY more than $200k.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Walter WalkerIII

Hello? did she not WALK into the propeller? this was HER fault...the insurance company was being kind... Your own insurance is responsible for paying the bills and or modeling money.... THIS is why we pay more for insurance right?

Jay W.

And... there off ! In the lead we have douchebag attorney, with a close second is ambulance chaser .... 5 lengths back is slimeball....

RaineeDrops

What an insult. I bet her medical bills are way more then 200,000. This has also cost lost income for her regarding her modeling career.

They should have to pay her MILLIONS for her lost career, medical and pain and suffering.

Michael Jackson Was A Pedo

A blonde walks into a running airplane propeller...

(Feel free to finish the joke)

Ginger

I'm sorry this happened to her but she's not a child. She's a grown woman. What was she doing that she didn't see or hear the propeller? Who is she sueing - the propeller company?

Joe

you were the dumbass who walked into the properly. The plane didn't come after you.

For those saying the plane should have been off, I believe they were picking up another person, and its common to keep the propeler on. Its hard to walk into the propeller. If its a Cessna 15x/17x/18x with the top mounted wing, the wing strut and door opening prevents you from walking straight into the propeller, unless you walk around it and in front. If its the lower mount aircraft, you have to walk on the wing towards the back to get out, and if you walk into the propeller, then you will have had to walk around the wing, even further and more obvious.

ITs a tragedy, but one that could have been avoided if you pay attention. My father has had several planes, and the noise, the wind are always making you aware of the propeller.

Bob

Mankind is doomed if a person thinks it's someone else's responsibility for them not to walk into a spinning propeller. I predict we de-evolve back into amoebas by the year 2205.

Jill

she was out of the plane but had she not just been a passenger in the plane which technically would make her a "passenger". question becomes what were the instructions given to her before exiting and did she follow those instructions. was she told not to walk around the front of the plane?

NobodySpecial

So she is suing the airline as a pedestrian and the plane shouldnt have had the blade spinning so it's their fault ? I am losing sympathy for this woman.

Zombie Whitney Houston

Um, if I'm within 20 feet of an airplane with a running propeller I'm not going to be taking my eyes off of that thing. Unfortunately, she did and they had to clean one of them up off the runway.

LittleMo

Agree with the comment about walking into the propeller. It was a horrible accident with heartbreaking consequences for Lauren but it was her own fault. She was told not to walk in front of the plane, did it anyway and walked into the propeller.

JC30

And this is why I over-pay thousands of dollars a year on insurance I have never used myself. Thanks, Lauren.

Whateverbytch

wtf was this dingbat doing when she exited the plane? it's like exiting a helicopter and deciding to do fcuking jumping jacks...someone's not too bright but she's paying for her stupidity

Hep

I stuck my hand into my car's fan when pointing out where I was hearing a "funny noise." Fortunately, my hand was still there when I got the nerve to look at it, but I was the stupid one, not my car (which was just sitting there doing what it does). I guess I should have sued Saturn, huh?

Kh

Sorry I originally felt bad for her but this just shows she has some sense of entitlement ...she walked into the propeller. They are loud and you would see them coming. The airline was decent with their offer ...yes it's horrible and expensive but u have to share the blame

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments