Octomom

Now On Welfare

3/31/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0330-nadya-suleman-Welfaretmz-exOctomom is doing what she swore she would never do -- go on welfare ... TMZ has learned.

The mother of 14 is getting $2,000 a month from the State of California. The money is deposited directly into a special debit card account (see above). The card can ONLY be used for food -- and it's closely monitored by the State to make sure the cardholder isn't making illegal purchases -- i.e., buying a bike at Costco.

It's a cruel twist, for a woman who vowed in 2010 -- a year after giving birth to octuplets -- she would NEVER go on welfare, saying she refused to become "a self-fulfilling prophecy" by accepting government assistance.

Octo qualified for the card because her income is less than $119,000 a year ... and a family of 15 that makes less than that amount is entitled to welfare benefits

In case you're wondering, the $119,000 figure is based on an average of just under $8,000 for each member of the household. The more kids, the more you can make and still receive welfare.

We’re told the cash-strapped mom has taken her children out of private school, except for her one son who has autism, saving her $4,000 a month. And as we first reported, she's even posing topless to make ends meet. But it just wasn't enough.

It's a sad story, but one we saw coming from a mile away.

cindy

She did do several things to earn her own money. Let's see how many of you could make it without assistance with 14 kids.

barbiemacs

This is news?? She has been on welfare, you fools!! This is my own opinion, but I think she has been on welfare since day one. She's probably been getting Medi-Cal also. I think there should be an investigation as to what she is getting thru Harmony Enterprises, her corporation. You know the witch is stashing money, probably thru her parents and her atty. How does she afford her atty, her agent, her surgeries...her tickets. What was she doing in Beverly Hills when she got her last ticket?? She's probably going for HUD housing and claiming stalkers to get into a gated community on us, the taxpayers expense. What next ...body guards????

Christina

Nadya is insane. I don't know why she hasn't been placed into a mental institution. What kind of woman wants to have eight kids when she's single, w/out a job, NO HUSBAND to support her, and already has 6 kids!!! Weren't the 6 kids enough experience for her to figure out that even 1 more child would be too much?!!
I'm 38 yrs old and I don't have kids. I could have easily been pregnant by now but I choose to look at the consequences of having a child. It's very simple. I can't afford a child!!! I just got accepted to a university. Once I graduate and I'm stable, I hope to adopt a sister and brother. See this is how people should think? Can't afford a child? Then don't have one!

shiela

Others abusing the system? What the **** do you think your doing? You had kids already so you have this idiot doctor help you have more kids you apparently can't or couldn't afford. How about getting the money from the moron who impregnated you... YOUR ABUSING IT!!!! Be happy it's only a death threat because in reality the kids would be better off somewhere else concidering we will be paying for their living.

azneck1

Sooo happy that I get to pay for those kids, now.

shauntelleyoung

i feel that she didnt make the best choices,but almost any other familt that has multiple kids has always had an outpouring of help and companies donating houses, diapers,furniture etc. people also got to do interviews,and check ins every few years and got.she was imidiately criticized.regardless of her situation she should have recieved some help. my god shes even compromizing her dignity to take care of her kids . she doesnt beat her kids , and shes not giving up kids up for adoption or losing them for neglect.the deed was already done,so doing the best she can.shes not lazy by any means and very intelligent just a bit qwerky.

cheryl

Why should the American public pay for this woman and Doctors reckless behaviour. The Doctor that impregnated her should be forced by the government to pay child support. He is as responsible for the children as she is

Susan's view

Why don't you leave the poor women alone, she is already in the predicted trouble.As for Welfare what about the crack heads who have numerous babies that land up in care and adopted and we still pay for that also (did you know that) she is at least keeping her children with her under extreme scrutinity. I think she is a little unusual but who says we have to all be alike. For a Mother that is trying to do well, she deserves help she admits she would not do this again which is a learning lesson to others. For pete's sake give the women a break leave her alone.

2HHEELS2

Take the kids away from her she was irresponsible to have that may children in the first place. She is an attention whore. and should not have kids

Concerned

I'm HAPPY to hear that Nadya agreed to welfare; if I lived in California, I'd happily pay the taxes to help her out in feeding and housing her kids. I think that Nadya regrets treating her emotional & psychological issues by having babies. I also feel that Nadya should agree to psychological medication (as many of us out here need, but don't want to admit to). I think that the medication would help her to be more reasonable in her decision making process and might stop her mind from racing. True, Nadya does need to continue humble herself by accepting help, but I don't see it happening without medication.

Thurston Howell III

Wait..she just now "took her kids out of private school"? What were they doing in private school in the first place? This woman is clearly mentally unstable. Why was she allowed to squander thousands of dollars in donations for those kids on her own personal luxuries like plastic surgery, Starbucks, mani's, pedi's and $60...0.00 eyelash extensions?

Does this mean we will no longer see this ho coming out of the nail salon or will she still have the balls to get mani's & pedi's while the Calif. taxpayer supports her and her kids?

Welfare Queen.

Thurston Howell III

Excuse me, bu this moron has ALWAYS ben "on welfare". Who do you think paid for the 2 million hospital bill for those kids? Who do you thinks pays for and had ALWAYS paid for their food and medical care? The Calif. taxpayer is getting raped by this headcase woman.

laurie

Nadya is her name, not Octomom which is insulting. Whether one likes it or not, she is the mother of children and should be shown respect. I don't care if she is on welfare, so are many other people with children. She is not getting any favors and it certainly is difficult to take care of small children with not enough money. Leave her alone. Unless you can help her, keep your feelings to yourself. I don't know why the Trump's of the world haven't offered some support.

Bob

I think the fertility Doctor should be listed as the father for all the children.

Smash Bravo

The death threats to her should not be happening BUT she was an idiot to have all those kids when she cannot support them at all and had to be put on food stamps.