Smash Mouth

Bassist & Wife Accused of

EXTREME Domestic Violence

4/8/2012 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Paul DeLisle -- the bassist from the band Smash Mouth
Paul DeLisle -- the bassist from the band Smash Mouth -- is an evil, violent wife-beater ... so says the rocker's wife ... but Paul claims HE'S the real victim in a crazy domestic war.

DeLisle and his wife Mary have obtained dueling restraining orders against each other ... both accusing the other of extreme violence.

Mary obtained her restraining order back in December ... after an incident in which she claims Paul, "Called me a 'c*nt' and told me to get out of his house ... he threatened to kick my teeth in."

She claims Paul has been terrorizing her for months ... "[He] has slapped me in the head and back, thrown objects at me, locked me in a closet, locked me out of the house, broken down doors to get to me, pinned me on the ground and sat on my chest, dragged me out of bed by my ankles."

In the court docs, filed in Santa Cruz County Superior Court, Mary also claims Paul spit in her face and poured drinks on her head.

Paul got his restraining order just a few weeks ago ... after telling the judge Mary "grabbed my hair and struck me with several blows, she kicked me and tried to break my fingers."

In his petition, also filed in Santa Cruz, Paul claims Mary "repeatedly goes for my fingers, in an attempt to render me unable to play music, which is what I do for a living."

Paul says Mary has also threatened him with a knife ... and now he's in fear for his life.

The same day a judge signed off on Paul's restraining order ... Paul filed for divorce from Mary.

The worst part of the whole situation -- the couple has a 2-year-old daughter. Paul is asking for sole legal and physical custody.

We reached out to both sides for comment -- we're still waiting to hear back.

Cognizant _illiberal

he is just accused , crazy women say things, but just in case the accusations are true you POS your songs all suck accept for the one called lets go get stoned, you make comercial friendly up beet melodic music and do it to get on child movie soundtracks , you dont even enjoy your own music, you make it to exploit the movie soundtracks of child films quit beating your wife you dirt bag

Holly

When love turns to hate... People really need to deal with their sever emotional problems before getting married and taking it out on each other.

Jay W.

3 sides to every story... His, Hers and the Truth.

Good luck with this one kids!

Everyones~A~Star

Put the child in foster care, by both parents admission it is a violent home.

ManiacalZebra

Sounds like mutual combat. I feel sorry for the kid. No kid belongs in a situation like that. Neither parent should get custody if both are violent.

smagz

plays music for a living...? ha, right.

Sociopaths are Sad

I grew up in a situation like that and it TOTALLY sounds like both are going at each other. Totally nasty situation. That kid is totally messed up. How long until they start taking it out on the kid?

SURFCOWBOY

I believe him! Women can be FKN crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zorbitor

Drunks

Tammy

Good luck, dude, because you will definitely need it. This is the USA and a man will only get "sole" anything of his child after the women kills the kid.

Tesla_Consulting

Girls often move on to the next guy quickly because guys don't need anyone.

Veritatis Amans

This is your brain on drugs...

dd

Back away from the bottle!

Star Whacker

Sounds like they deserve each other. Problem is that the kid doesn't deserve either of them. Ugly stuff there.

Cheryl A.