John Travolta

I Wasn't Really Attached to

My STOLEN $100k Mercedes

4/9/2012 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0409_travolta_videoJohn Travolta says he wasn't too traumatized when some crook stole -- and then chopped up -- his rare 1970 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL ... telling us, "I'm not that attached to material stuff."

Translation: I can buy another one.

Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston were leaving dinner at Katsu-Ya in Brentwood this weekend when we asked about the ill-fated vintage car ... which was stolen last year while the actor was car shopping for Jaguars in Santa Monica.

Cops eventually tracked the car down to a nearby chop shop ... where it had already been stripped for parts. The two guys behind the auto-theft -- Michael Green and D.L. Rayford ... both confessed and were sentenced to prison time.

Travolta says the whole ordeal was "terrible" -- but fortunately, he's got more cars ... including the classic Jaguar the couple zipped off in that night.

Rosemary Peppercorn

How sad that you twisted Travolta's words by "translating" that he meant he could get another car. What he most likely meant when he said he wasn't attached to material things is that he knows REAL loss -- the loss of a child. After that, how can you get bent out of shape over the loss of a car? Yes, it was terrible as he said. The end of his world? No. And it would have been even STUPIDER of you to ask about his son. Too bad no one on your staff has a brain cell to share.

Ace

A 1970's Mercedes isn't worth more intact than chopped up?

Kevin

John Travolta sounds like a real nice guy in real life, at least in this interview.

ria

This Scientologist nut job. Maybe one of the guys he was caught kissing on the private jet steps did it. And why does his face looks like that? he looks like a mask, with a humongous square head. I hate looking at him.

wisey

You have to be a pretty huge s***bag to chop up one of those for quick cash.

SaidThePrincess

John Travolta is a class act!! Love the guy!

JDoors

"Travolata, "I'm not that attached to material stuff."

Translation: I can buy another one."

Laughed out loud. Good one.

Swins

What a complete douche. I don't car about the car my wife gave me, $100K car means nothing to me. Hey **** head if $100K car means nothing to you, why not donate the money you are going to spend on your next car to a charity that could use it to help people who have nothing.

soulofanangel

------------------------------------------------------------
So TWO old folks (in Hollywood years) from days gone by go out to EAT....and THAT'S a new story?
------------------------------------------------------------

ohreally

No TMZ. Translation: When you lose your son, bullshiiit material things don't seem to matter.

Fuccin' morons.

ohreally

jesus the people at TMZ are so ****in' stupid man. How stupid can you be?

I don't know why but this particular article pissed me off. You going off about how he can buy a new one.

This guy just lost something he put genuine love and care into, and your translation of his indifference to material possessions is that he can always buy another?

What the ****. Is any one at TMZ human?

dope-digity

Attached to material things... LIKE YOUR FAKE ASS HAIR PIECE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regina

TMZ may have twisted his words but it still sounds conceited. It must be nice to not worry about a 100k car. I wish us mere mortals could be so lucky. I worry about my 92 Chrysler every time I can't find it in the grocery store lot.

LilVal

Travolta is too damn cool!

johntravoltafans