Mel Gibson

Joe Eszterhas is a Liar

... and His Script SUCKED

4/12/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0411_mel_gibson_joe_eszterhas_2
Mel Gibson is lashing back at his "Maccabees" collaborator Joe Eszterhas -- claiming Joe's accusations of anti-Semitism are pure BS ... and saying the real issue is Joe's script was TERRIBLE.

Mel just penned a letter of his own in response to Joe's ... in which he states, "I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications."

Mel acknowledges he recently lost his cool with Joe during a conversation about the movie ... saying, " I did react more strongly than I should have." But he also explains "I promptly sent you a written apology, the colorful words of which you apparently now find offensive. Let me now clearly apologize to you and your family in the simplest of terms."

Mel then explains his frustrations with Joe ... writing, "Not only was the script delivered later than you promised, both Warner Brothers and I were extraordinarily disappointed with the draft. In 25 years of script development I have never seen a more substandard first draft or a more significant waste of time."

In his letter, Mel never specifically addresses Joe's claim that he "hates Jews" or made anti-Semitic statements.

As for Joe's claim that he wanted to get back in the good graces of the Jews, Mel says, "Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced 8 years ago."

Mel's parting words -- "I think that we can agree that this should be our last communication."

MEL'S LETTER TO JOE

Joe,

I have your letter. I am not going to respond to it line by line, but I will say that the great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in your letter are utter fabrications. I would have thought that a man of principle, as you purport to be, would have withdrawn from the project regardless of the money if you truly believed me to be the person you describe in your letter. I guess you only had a problem with me after Warner Brothers rejected your script.

I will acknowledge like most creative people I am passionate and intense. I was very frustrated that when you arrived at my home at the expense of both Warner Brothers and myself you hadn’t written a single word of a script or even an outline after 15 months of research, meetings, discussions and the outpouring of my heartfelt vision for this story. I did react more strongly than I should have. I promptly sent you a written apology, the colorful words of which you apparently now find offensive. Let me now clearly apologize to you and your family in the simplest of terms.

Contrary to your assertion that I was only developing Maccabees to burnish my tarnished reputation, I have been working on this project for over 10 years and it was publicly announced 8 years ago. I absolutely want to make this movie; it’s just that neither Warner Brothers nor I want to make this movie based on your script.

Honestly, Joe, not only was the script delivered later than you promised, both Warner Brothers and I were extraordinarily disappointed with the draft. In 25 years of script development I have never seen a more substandard first draft or a more significant waste of time. The decision not to proceed with you was based on the quality of your script, not on any other factor.

I think that we can agree that this should be our last communication.

Mel

Grouchy Smurf

Too bad for Mel that Joe apparently recorded their conversations (and thus Mel's rants) on his iPhone... at least according to Harvey on this morning's episode of Good Day LA.

pete Dicks

Gibson comes across as an ANTI English man using films to support his hatred of Britain and the English in particular. I used to like him until those stupid and HIGHTLY historically inaccurate films 'Patriot' (which should have been called 'Traitor' as were all Colonists fighting against their home Nation) and the hysterical (NOT HISTORICAL) waste of time 'Braveheart'. His reported comments about being pleased that John Lennon was killed will do nothing to win him any friends. I hope that he scurries back under whichever stone he crawled from - and stays there

Majestik

Hey Harvey, how long before you post up that Joe E. will be calling into TMZ live to discuss this obviously self-embellished crapfest?

tendollaryankee

mel never said any of that crap. i dont believe a word of it. even if he did say it, the only reason it would be written about here, is because hes mel gibson. the whole world is headed south anyways, so who cares. dogs and cats are being murdered every day, and no one seems to give a blank. seems like what mel said or didnt say is much more important.

Andi

The ramblings of a crazy drunk man. Even if you're famous they still sound just as ****ed up. At least he has money and isn't on the corner with all the other crazy bums spiting on people and saying DAMN JEWBOYS stole my jobs!

SDK

There's no way Mel wrote that letter. It reeks of PR speak. What's so funny is that he doesn't categorically deny all of what Joe claimed, just the "majority". I'd like to know what Mel admits he did say. Also, I don't care how late or crappy a script is - nothing would merit the kind of racist tirades we all know from the audiotapes that Mel is capable of.

THE BEAVER

In that pic, Joe looks as mean and evil as Hitler.
Why don't Joe date Oksana? I am sure Mel wouldn't mind at all. LOL Looks like Oksana and Joe have nothing better to do than to fc up and/or fc with other peoples lives.

purejuice

eszterhas is and always has been a beast. those two deserve each other.

Mark

This is a story that needs to be told especially with its parallels to today, Israel surrounded by wicked antisemites that would destroy it given the chance.

george

Dear Mel - Quit sucking up to these vampires. Remake "They Live".. or maybe tell the story of the Bolshevik Revolution, and the leaders who killed tens of million christians.. tell the real story, you know, the story that the vampires are so proud of.

jenna's full of crap

I am curious as to why some people think that we all have to like the Jews?

byoung

I hate the things Mel Gibson said in his rants, and I've said it many times. He has Anger issues mostly. However I'm more at the liberals here who will scream about Mel while voting for and giving money to democrat politicians who want Israel to go back to the original borders and give up Jerusalem. And, you support people who support anti-semites like the Rev Wright and Louis Farakhan. You also defend an entire religion made up of anti-semitic people. Be honest, you hate him because of something other than anti-semitism. Or you only hate anti-semites who aren't black or muslim.

Kromsnaveland

The problem with Mel is, and I think he his a great actor, director, is that Mel's fathre lives in his head. And all that turmoil we witness is Mel's struggle to "come out" of what ever closet he is in

Joe Beercan

I don't care if Mel hates strawberry ice cream, pinto beans, skim milk, Marlboro Lights or Jews... his movies are AWESOME! Keep rocking, Mel!

Bill

Its ironic that so many Jews call Mel 'Anti Semitic' when in reality, all of them are Anti Gentile, Anti Christian and Anti Goyim.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments