'Family Matters' Star

I Bus Tables Now ...

AT MY OWN RESTAURANT

4/15/2012 12:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Cherie Johnson - the girl who played Maxine in Family Matters
Cherie Johnson
-- the girl who played Laura Winslow's best bud Maxine on "Family Matters" -- just opened her own restaurant in Houston ... but she's not some absentee boss ... she actually buses the tables herself.

The restaurant's called Datt's It -- and we're told Cherie opened it last month in a developmentally-challenged section of Houston, hoping to bring the struggling neighborhood some business ... and bring it back to life.

The menu includes all kinds of American classics -- burgers, fries, hot dogs, wings -- and the ONLY thing on the menu over $5 is the waffle with eggs and bacon (that's $6.50).

Last time we heard anything about Cherie Johnson was over a year ago -- when she had just gotten engaged to Ricky Romance, brother of B2K singer Raz-B. Time flies.

whatevs

I don't even know who this is, but I like her. Anybody who works hard and has that kind of humility is RIGHT ON in my book! You go, Cherie!

viewer

Good for her. It is nice to hear she is not just sitting on royalties and blowing the money on drugs like a lot of other former celebrities. Doesn't anyone else remember that she was also Punky Brewsters best friend on that show? lol

Jennifer McCarroll

Uh, hello, I think she's more well known as the epic Cherie FROM PUNKY BREWSTER. Epic. Flawless human being.

somewhere in Texas

I work right down the street from the location. Will check it out. Yea, many places there have bars on the windows. And in that area on the morning drive in you see many a workings girls walking Bissonnet offering their wares. Behind there fire trucks won't go into the appartments unascorted by police.

Discretion

Good for her! I am actually proud that she is doing something good and productive unlike a lot of entertainers. So I am proud of you and I wish you the best Cherie :-)

jj

You guys always mention her as being from Family Matters, but I'll always remember her as the super adorable best friend to Punky Brewster! Good for her, if I ever find myself somewhere around the area, I'll pop in. She seems like a sweetheart and she doesn't have hardcore "issues" like so many child stars.

Cooley

Good for her. Better than being a whore

dollarbuild

Aryan Graphics Design

OK,Lets break down the story!This negress can no longer get a paying gig in Hollywood..And Ya sure she gave up wealth & fame to live & own a business in a ghetto in Houston..YA UMMMMM sure!That's likely.
Truth be told ,what the politically correct

VictoriaGirl

She also played Soleil-Moon Fryes best friend on Punky Brewster.

DaveT

Good for her. Probably more happiness in serving others, than in the self-indulgent celebrity Hollywood lifestyle.
Very common in the L.A area...celebrity therapists.
Celebrities often live lonely lives. Camera smiles are commonly fake to appease the fickle public and sustain career.
Waiting on others with food is fulfilling. People love to eat, especially in public settings. It's festive, fun, and makes us feel "homey".
With Mom and Dad we really liked having weekend breakfast at small diners and restaurants.
The food smell, the chatter of people starting their morning, I do believe diners and cafes are among the happiest places on earth.

superbadnerves1

**** anyone on here talking about my beautiful NO peeps dont be mad because yall thought houston was so bad ass then got a rude awakening anyway I'mglad to see she is doing well and helping her community I really hope she did not marry that dude he is a bitch

JANDEAN61

hi

Bruno

Good for her. I hope her latest ventur is a huge success.

JANDEAN61

wow ! all you menso who live in L.A So.Cal keep forgeting of all the bars windows in every house ...even in Los Feliz or o.c some homes have them...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments