Milli Vanilli

Who DOESN'T Lip-Sync

These Days?

4/17/2012 6:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

41712_vanilli

Fabrice Morvan -- better known as one half of duo Milli Vanilli -- tells TMZ ... he's sort of a trailblazer ... because nowadays almost EVERYBODY in pop music lip-syncs their songs.

Fab was leaving Le Pain Quotidien bakery in L.A. yesterday ... when we asked about his infamous phony vocals scandal in 1990 ... when it was revealed neither he nor Rob Pilatus actually sang any of the hits on their album, "Girl You Know It's True."

Fab tells TMZ, "There is no difference between what I did back then and what people are doing now."

He explains, "If you wanna break it down, people might say, 'Well you didn't sing' ... but the fact of the matter is ... now the machines are doing it."

Fab says technology like Auto-Tune allows singers to completely change their voice ... duping fans into believing they can sing ... when, in fact, they can't.

"I ain't pointing the finger, but if you're doing all this and you're not performing the song live ... then you're not doing anything different from what I did."

In case you forgot, check out Milli Vanilli's biggest hit, "Blame It On the Rain." It was later revealed the real vocals were provided by several other people.

Jay W.

Bring back Milli Vanilli... hologram Rob. Not

Cheryl A.

At least todays singers who lip sync are mouthing their OWN voices. You and your singing partner were lip syncing to someone else's voices and then you two had the BALLS to accept a GRAMMY award for someone else's work. That is why you are NOBODY.

Amber

Yeah, butttt, I don't think either of them could even sing could they?!?!?!?! It wasn't even their voices!!!!!!

Orlando

Lip syncing a song you actually sang is different than Lip syncing someone else sinning. They use so much technology in production today; most of the time you can’t sing the song live and have it sound like the CD.

Orlando

True BUT,Lip syncing a song you actually sang is different than Lip syncing someone else sinning.

Delaware D

Milli Vanilla were great. Blame it on the Rain was on eof the BEST songs of the 90s. They were only doing what the boy bands do now. Give them a break, RIP Rob.

BB not bb

Didn't the other guy kill himself because he was so embarrassed over being found out? I would be embarrassed too, but I blame the record execs, not these marionettes who were dancing while someone else had to sing for them. They were paid to put on a show and they did. They always seemed like phonies to me so I never bothered with them.

I love how on American idol some overweight or unattractive person can come on and shock everyone with the sheer beauty of their voice. That is what music is really about, not looking like a manufactured product that comes with voice effects. I think a real musician can tell real music from just contrived sound and image. I thought that pop was not caring about your image, so the whole thing is just a fake of a fake.

Jordan

What difference does it make if they sang there songs live or not people pay money to see a show not to really hear them sing. How many people go to a britney spears concert and walk out a say wow she did a great job singing. Even on the singing competitions they only hire woman who dont sing only lip sync with the exception of steven tyler who is now portrayed as a petephile.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Dude has a great point...They were the founding fathers (or mothers) of what was to come.

niles

He's got a point. Many "singers" out there making records now are as phoney as a $3 bill.

tippy katz

Are you kidding me? At least with the people who are auto-tuned and then lip synch, it started with their own, crappy weak voices. It's not my kind of music, but at least it's them, it's not a totally different person. What MV did was perpetrate a fraud. His partner committed suicide, really sad. I don't think Fab needs to keep answering for this, it was a long time ago. But he doesn't need to try to defend it either with weird logic.

Sociopaths are Sad

Fab is ABSOLUTELY correct. 100% I feel him.
And for anyone saying "Oh, but at least the artists today use their own crappy voices that are autotuned, etc..." You're wrong. It's the SAME thing.
The only reason Fab & his partner didn't autotune their voices is because the technology wasn't available yet. Had it been available, that's the route they would have taken & they would have achieved THE SAME popularity.
It's the SAME thing.

nayce54

I want to be rich like Simon

Diego

Vindicated? Hardly. The big difference, regardless of the production processing, is that Milli Vanilli never actually sang any of the material. They were complete frauds.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

My favorite MV song is I'm Gonna Miss You. I didn't think the Milli Vanilli scandal was all that scandalous, it was fake, it was an act--just like every other singing act, they dress outrageously or put on some fake persona for attention--it's all phony in one way or another, I'm not sure one kind of chicanery is worse than another.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments