Acura

We're So Sorry We Excluded

Dark-Skinned Blacks

4/18/2012 12:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0418_acura_senfeld

Acura has issued a full-on apology ... after we ran a story that the car company's ad people sought an African American actor to play a car dealer who was "not too dark."

The commercial -- which featured Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno and ran during the Super Bowl -- was cast by an agency that sent out a casting sheet, looking for a "nice looking, friendly, not too dark" African American actor to play the role of dealer.

Acura just issued this statement:  "We apologize to anyone offended by the language on the casting sheet used in the selection of actors for one of our commercials."

The car company added, "We sought to cast an African-American in a prominent role in the commercial, and we made our selection based on the fact that he was the most talented actor."

As for the language "not too dark," Acura says, "The casting sheet was only now brought to our attention.  We are taking appropriate measures to ensure that such language is not used again in association with any work performed on behalf of our brand."

Joan K

You have to be kidding me, this sounds like a Sherry Shepherd comment, just plain stupid.

Carl

I doubt Acura is really to blame. I think the casting agency and the people that made the commercial are probably the ones that made the idiotic decision to put that in a memo.

acuseme

So they're going to do a better job of hiding their racism next time...great.

Ran

Man, blacks look for any excuse to claim they are discriminated against. It's like a game to them now, who can cry racism quicker.

Bud

Does that mean I can't get a job because I am too white?
This crap is getting ridiculous!

Mazor

Well it was a good call. They wanted it to look like Jay was looking at cars, not being robbed.

Grouchy Smurf

Personally speaking, I don't think Acura did anything wrong nor do I view their casting choice as racist in the least. Many of the comments here on TMZ, however, are over the top racist. That being said, the nice thing about Facebook is that they track your activity all over the internet. Doesn't matter that you use different handles as everything goes in to a big database based upon your IP address and the presence of that Facebook cookie. And in the near future everything you've ever done on the Internet will be publicly attributed to you. So have fun making your racist comments thinking nobody will ever know it is you, because you little Facebook idiots have already made sure that for the rest of your life everyone will know you're a hateful little racist. And if you doubt me, just Google it.

KicksandGiggles

Apologize for what? Its brand is associated with affluence. Folks of color do not conjure up images or connection with wealth. Folks of color are probably not their target mkt. Society stigmatizes and penalizes people based on their race. Acura is simply projecting the realistic image of what most folks accept & expect for its brand; and that is as close to white european as possible. And yes, it is a d___n shame!!

Jackie

How about offering jobs to whoever is qualified than labeling!

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Oh, really? Are they sorry they excluded Hispanics? Asians? Women? Children? Elderly?

And thats the truth

I worked for an older black lady whom I adored and she told me that light skinned black people do not get along with dark skinned black people.....I thought that was the strangest thing I had ever heard....I do not judge someone by the of their skin, and especially if they are a white person who has lighter or darker skin then I do.....lol. I guess the shade of a black persons skin will now be considered racists.....where is Al Sharpie, as my 85 year old Mom used to call him.....lol!

William Baranowski

And no hoodies, either!

Kevin

WTF is wrong with these people, geez!

Ed

Some of you dumbassses only read or see what you want to read or see or even comprehend. The fact that this multi billion dollar company requested an AFrican American who's "Friendly" & not too dark overly suggests that the add would be "hurt" or the viewing public would NOT want to see someone who is "too dark" because it's deemed "scary" & "unfriendly". Some of you are getting very lazy & think that anything is considered TOO PC but use some brain power every once in a while. What if the add said, "tall & not too yellow" or the add said, "Has to exude the confidence of wanting to spend money & not be too jewish-ee"?

yeah_itsme

This is typical of people being racist especially against dark skinned scary black men... AND people writing on here saying "well it's the same as someone asking for a blonde or red haired person".... The short answer: no it's not