Acura

We're So Sorry We Excluded

Dark-Skinned Blacks

4/18/2012 12:07 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0418_acura_senfeld

Acura has issued a full-on apology ... after we ran a story that the car company's ad people sought an African American actor to play a car dealer who was "not too dark."

The commercial -- which featured Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno and ran during the Super Bowl -- was cast by an agency that sent out a casting sheet, looking for a "nice looking, friendly, not too dark" African American actor to play the role of dealer.

Acura just issued this statement:  "We apologize to anyone offended by the language on the casting sheet used in the selection of actors for one of our commercials."

The car company added, "We sought to cast an African-American in a prominent role in the commercial, and we made our selection based on the fact that he was the most talented actor."

As for the language "not too dark," Acura says, "The casting sheet was only now brought to our attention.  We are taking appropriate measures to ensure that such language is not used again in association with any work performed on behalf of our brand."

Djehuty

It's sad that Acura continues to perpetuate the age old stereotype that lighter skin blacks are more acceptable than darker skin blacks. To add insult to injury, the ignorance of the people posting comments of there would be no out cry if it were blonde vs brunette. People please wake up, it is 2012 and people of color have to continue to deal with this? We must do a better job of dealing with one another.

3mojoe

OK, SO i WANT TO RUN AN aD WITH with a blond HEADED KID BETWEEN 18 AND 22, I have to leave the option for black or brown hair or a black kid or an Asian? Give me a break, I am paying for what I want in my Ad. I guess I just leave it open and pick who I want, but wait isn't that profiling?

Mike

Its almost like you can't win with African Americans.

tab

As long as society keeps apologizing...they'll keep suing!!

Dette

REALLLLLY!!!!!

Margo

And the racists come out from under the rocks again. *shocker*

3mojoe

Man, you would think Rev. Ike would just be happ they selected any black. Needs to lighten up. Oops bad choice of words.

mzbattle

wow you people are amazing...no wonder this country is turning into some ****...i hope you all don't kiss your mothers with those dirty mouths

Selebraties Suck

I'm suing TMZ.

janine

Did the white actors get offended because they wouldn't be considered for the part?

MrRayfro

What the hell who cares there just ******s and its there show they can hire who they like so **** you ******s! Get over it!

ubernoob

Next up someone will complain they didnt make Jersey shore cause they are "not orange" enough!

jeff

Why does there have to be a black person on EVERY commercial? They are like 20 to 25 percent of the population? Why can't advertisers put the people they WANT in their ads? I see just as many blacks on tv as whites with a quarter of the population? F ck acura for being "pc" and then apologizing for it? The way sh t is going, in another 50 years we will be their slaves, and somehow they and the jewish media will justify it. I won't be alive in 50 years, so f ck it. Young white people be warned, IT'S GONNA GET ALOT WORSE THAN IT IS NOW. Most young white people are feeble. That's all on you guys.

CallingAllIdiots

I love these type of sites... It validates what black people already think that white people say about them behind closed door and it appears to be true.

Jay

OMG what a joke... cant black people find anything better to do than worry about crap like this... Acura I am ashamed in you for even apologizing... Hold your ground... Besides I think Jerry is to white... I think I should sue...