Acura Super Bowl Commercial

Only Light-Skinned Blacks

Need Apply

4/18/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0_276y7lkx_0_i0jmfdz6(1)
You know that Acura commercial with Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno that aired during the Super Bowl -- well, we got hold of the casting call document, and they were very specific/exclusionary about their dream African American car dealer.

According to the casting doc, the role of African American car dealer would be played by a "Nice looking, friendly, Not too dark" African American car dealer.

Casting document for the Acura NSX Super Bowl Commercial
We just got hold of the document from an African American actor who didn't fit the profile, and who's pissed.

We made lots of calls, trying to find out why "dark" African Americans weren't right for the role.  Someone associated with casting the commercial tells us ... one of the reasons for the "not too dark" restriction was because lighting and special effects would get tricky.

We made calls to Acura but no one got back to us.

update_bar
Acura just apologized for the wording in the casting call document -- claiming, "We apologize to anyone offended by the language."

Darogr

Could they have meant "dark" as in "dark humor"? If it meant dark skinned, why not say dark skinned?

Even if they wanted a certain look, big deal.

renae

Casting calls are always specific and quite frankly, Acura would NEVER say the reason they chose not too cast someone who's "too dark" is because of perceived and innate biases. Then they would be called racist( and if this casting request is for the reason I stated above, the shoe fits) and NOBODY wants to be called racist even when all signs point to it.

These comments posted here though are interesting because people seem to be very open in expressing their bigoted "opinions" online....anonymously. People stating they aren't allowed to express this in real life because society is too PC. It's not that, you just sound like an ignorant idiot and you would be embarrassed for people to know you think these things.

TH

Come on !!
All you black peps also have sitcom with only black peps in , also movies with only black peps in , so don't through that racism card , you aint better your self

Shana

So WHAT??? Its the look they wanted, like some companies may want a tall, thin blonde. Do you see short, fat brunettes suing? GET OVER IT!

Irene

I really don't understand the problem. This guy must get turned down for other things too. All movies and ads are looking for a particular look...a certain color hair, eyes, skin, height, general look...they do it all the time...that's the biz...

who cares

Oh no another racist crying foul because he was to black??? People are just to sensitive now days

minnietx

I like all types of people with good intentions towards others etc...but if they needed a certain type of person or look for a role, such as a blond, brunett, height requirement, tall person, or no short people, anyone without a chip on their shoulder would move on. Good grief this is going wayyyy too far about any discrimination. Yes there are blatant situations but with the nature of the film business, people get rejected everyday for many types of reasons....looks being one of them...if you can't handle rejection you need to get out of the business....I am curious if they stated they wanted a darker person, would this be a story?

dmac

so what... there are plenty of castings for no freckles/must have freckles, no blondes, must be willing to spray tan, no blue eyes. All parts for white people, is it necessary to have a lawsuit when I am freckle free? NO. It just is not the part for me.

McKenna

While I do think it was a little insensitive the way it was worded, I don't believe it was really meant to be racist. That's just the direction that they wanted to take for the commercial. It's kind of like, if they needed a role in a film or commercial that was a black character, it would make no sense for a white person to audition. At the same time the people saying that a darker skinned person would be "too dark" on film is a little ridiculous. There has been plenty of darker skinned people to appear on TV or movies. It just so happens that that is not what they were looking for and the guy is just sour about it. Why would he wait until April to bring this up? My guess would be because of the pending Bachelor/Bachelorette lawsuit. The country is the most racially divided I've seen it in a while, and it's heartbreaking. Things like this are only adding fuel to the fire.

DizzKid

It's call "preference", which has been going on as long as the entertainment industry has been alive. If they don't won't someone fat for the role, it's their right. If they won't someone gay for the role, it's their right. If they don't someone to dark skinned, it's their right!

People know the industry these days. Don't play dumb.

soandso111

I don't get what the big deal is. They're allowed to have a specific look in mind. When they want to hire a fat person for a role they probably write "fat, not too fat". Maybe they just didn't want such a stark contrast to Jerry's pasty face, lol.

Rhubino

I played 3 sports in high school - basketball, volleyball and track. I used to feel bad for my (dark skinned) black team mates whose faces were barely visible in the team photos. The alternative would have been for the photographer to increase the exposure time, which would then result in the white people having their faces washed out and our white uniforms would be "hot" (pure white, no detail). Today, with Photoshop, black faces can be selected and levels/curces adjustments can be made to bring out more detail. I know, I used to do it. It's tricky and easy to get wrong.

Bridget

I'mjustme, first off why your going after me after some of the race junk some people have spewed on this I don't know. Perhaps you just feel angry and me arguing a reason for this that has nothing to do with racism is annoying you because you want to remain angry.

Second I never said anything about Oprah saying she can't wear black. Your acting like I said dark skinned people can't be in commercials...I DIDN'T. I said that because of the lighting and location of THIS PARTICULAR COMMERCIAL they would have to rework the script since it takes place in a BRIGHT car dealership.

And you may not realize it but you are making my point for me. YOU SAID "Sets require bright color clothing on people of all races but not white color clothing".

Why can't the people be dressed in white???? Because "people of all races".

The commercial took place in a BRIGHT car dealership. So the background was white. Sooooooooooooo miss on the set, why again did you say they didn't want people on set wearing white? Gee a whole bunch of people wearing white sounds like it would have the same effect as shotting in a Bright car dealership.

And they built the commercial (lighting and location) around the celebs they paid big bucks to get. Why would they rework everything for the actor with two lines? If they had gotten a famous dark skinned actor for the commercail I'm sure they would have worked some computer magic to conteract the camera effect. But again that would cost a lot of money. And they didn't have a famous actor in that role that would be worth spending that kind of money on.

And your not going to argue with someone who isn't knowledgeable enough? You didn't even bother to look up if what the car company said was true or not before you decided descrimination...I did.

tessa

so? casting is gender specific, hair color, weight, eye color, height, voice . . . it's intentional profiling for a reason.

super sick of the race card . . . and all the other whiney cards too

Jay W.

Breaking News... Danny Devito is pissed because he lost a role to an extremely white skin freckled Irish man.