Mel Gibson

May Sue Joe Eszterhas

For Releasing Audio of Epic Rant

4/19/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0418_mel_Large-Audio-Launch_V6
Mel Gibson
is seriously considering suing Joe Eszterhas for secretly recording him at his home in Costa Rica last December, and then releasing the audio rant.

Sources connected with Mel tell TMZ ... the actor believes he has a "basic human right" NOT to be secretly recorded in his own home.

We're told Mel's people are looking at the laws of Costa Rica to determine if recording laws were violated and, even if they weren't, if Mel's right of privacy was violated by the release of the audio.

Mel explodes in the recording about Eszterhas' lack of progress with "The Maccabees" script  -- "What the f**k have you been doing!!" He also unloads on Oksana Grigorieva, calling her a ""F**king c**t, c**ksucking whore."

We're told Mel believes anyone recorded "at their worst moment" would sound awful, and it's unfair to trap people in their refuge.

One Mel source notes with skepticism that Eszterhas has made other allegations against Mel ... that the actor also ranted against the Jews and expressed pleasure that John Lennon was shot and killed ... but none of that is on the tape.

dee dee

He needs to retire and go away from making any movies and what have you, then he needs to seek professional help! Hollywood should cross his name off!

Jamie

I hope Mel does sue him. What a rotten thing to do. Of course he also accuses him of other things not found on the tape.

angles

Mel don't let this guy take control you sue his as. You will always be on top and for this kind of betrail calls for drastic measures . We all say things we don't mean especialy under alchol in the privacy of your home should stay in your home ,this sh.t needs to be so exposed so no one would want him in there company boy Mel don't take this .

Dita Wildflower

My first reaction to hearing that Mel Gibson was audio-taped once again was one of distaste and deceit for the person(s) who did this to him. I'm thinking, ok...just because he's Mel Gibson, he's an easy target... But after hearing this audio recording, one has to wonder, if YOU were being subject to one of Mel's rage/outbursts like this, would YOU sit back with your tails between your legs and do nothing? I guarantee you wouldn't. It has nothing to do with WHO he is and EVERYTHING to do with WHAT is he's doing. I question if Mel was surrounded by a group of young blacks in the projects would he still feel ballsy enough to throw his ego around like this? I doubt it. He doesn't feel threatened by these people, so he bullies them.... Mel Gibson has a serious problem. People record verbal assaults and physical assaults all the time, it's actually encouraged in a court of law because it is an accurate account of evidence, just because you are Mel Gibson doesn't mean you shouldn't be subject to being recorded JUST LIKE WE ARE!

Pimpcessa

Sooo, Eszterhas has the right to sit in Mels home, eat Mels food and NOT DO HIS JOB AND get paid for wasting Mels money and time. Eszterhas is also allowed to have his son secretly record Mel getting angry about it when he finds this out, all while enjoying Mels vacation home with his family.

But Mel is not allowed to be upset when he realizes this is going on and is being taken for a ride? Furthermore, the tape is so distorted that all I really got out of it was his anger towards Eszterhas for slacking while getting paid.

Not for nothing, but I find it a little hard to believe that a grown man (Eszterhas) would keep his family in such a "volatile" situation if he really felt threatened. Additionally, in the tapes I've seen of Joe, he doesn't appear so meek and mild as to allow anyone to explode on him like that, without some repercussion. Could he have known that his son was taping at that moment and said nothing back to Mel, just to make Mel appear as the monster???

2idiots

I think FN is right. Mel WONT SUE but he WILL THREATEN to. What makes NO SENSE to me is WHY didn't Mel's paralegal parakeets threaten JE with a lawsuit BEFORE he released the tapes? Why didn't the parakeets threaten the media saying "if you get these and play them your cooked".
Makes NO sense to do something after the fact - whats the expression about trying to put something back in the bottle?
On a completely different note - I did watch about 5 mins of the Q&A from Austin last night. I feel really bad for the guy conducting the interview - Overweight, Gay and Red hair! He looked like he fell off a box of Lucky Charms.

TMZgossip

*g*
Remember the fraus claiming Oxy had to "bait" ole beater-boi to get him to rant at her for the phone tapes?
c'mon beater-boi, sue Joe E.
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It will be fun to watch TruTV (or CourTV) while you are on the stand & being questioned about the other rants & threats you made in front of witnesses!!!!!

srsly

Can't have it both ways, Mellykins. It's also a basic human right not to be abused by people screaming in your face.

LuckyHeidi

Good for him. I agree,you shouldn't have to worry about people secretely taping you inside your own home. I'm sure all the commenters have never lost their temper or thrown a tantrum at home? Yeah right! We all sound crazy when we loose it...and we all loose it sometimes. I'd probably be pretty pissed off too if someone I was paying millions of dollars to write a script was just pocketing money and not writing anything. Doing this to someone should be punishable by jailtime! Everyone is entitled to privacy, and that includes Mel Gibson.

dt1717

OK enough already. I love MEL. He has made bad choices in people and friends. How would you like to be tape recorded. His awful ex girlfriend set him up terribly - she knew which buttons to push and got him on tape when he had obviously had too much to drink. Can any of you say that there is not one time in your life you've regretted saying something? How would you like it played for the whole world to judge? I've read he is bipolar. If that IS the case, alcohol mixed with his meds, could easily make him "go off". It is an illness for which he needs help. I am not condoning his behavior but how would you like to be secretly recorded every time you said a curse word? We all remember how weird Britney Spears got including shaving her head yet she is now forgiven and all the incidents forgotten. Mel apparently reached out and helped her too. Yet everyone can so easily cast the first stone. Of course, she didn't go off on rants that were recorded, but nobody else was either. He has made horrible choices in the people he has chosen to be with. His ex wife filed an affidavit stating he was a loving and caring husband and father and never hurt his children. She did not have to do this; she did it on her own and she knows him better than anybody. That was enough for me. Oksana is a nut case herself and used him which would piss anybody off. With a few drinks in me, I would probably "go off" too though maybe not with the exact same language. She was too calm and collected on her end; you knew she was pushing his buttons. Why was he being tape recorded in the first place at this guy's house? How dare they? They are supposed to be friends, yet this kid tapes him? It's another jab at him for all the world to judge. And we only get to hear one side so we can easily judge that he his an ******* or whatever but we don't know the whole story. We weren't there on any of these occasions.

Kari

Mel--get back on your bipolar meds, and quit drinking! Your career is over.

2idiots

I listened to the rants that were taped back in the OG days, I listened to the rant that Joe E released and it really makes me wonder what life was REALLY like inside the home he shared with Robyn.
Mel and Robyn were married for over 28 years and you cant convince me on the best day that Robyn (or her kids) were never subjected to Mel's anger and rage issues.
.......
Le Snicker @ what Gossip said. I too remember the flockers saying that OG baited him to get him to go off so she could record him - it doesn't appear as if that's the case.

Charlie Sheen's Watch

So this fat piece of shhhit can't hang with Mel Gibson's demands for quality work - so he goes off secretly recording Mel. Who would ever want to work with this fat fruck in the future?

Clearly this worthless piece of shhhhit released these tapes to cover his behind - he failed at his task and now he is trying to blame someone else for his failures.

Thomas K.

"I'm not sorry about what I said, I'm sorry you found out what a racist I am."

Pimpcessa

Sorry, but if you don't have a video of before, during and after the rant, it means ZERO to me. It would almost appear, by listening to the tape, that Mel just exploded for nothing and is beating up on this poor man just because he chose to explode. Who on earth would buy that nonsense?

And, sorry Joe, if you're allowed to piss people off, they're allowed to let you know they're pissed off! And it's not always going to be in the most polite way.