Ashton Kutcher

Popchips Ad PULLED

Over Brown-Face

5/3/2012 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0503_ashton_kutcher_raj
Ashton Kutcher's new commercial for Popchips has officially been PULLED amidst allegations of racism ... after the actor donned brownface makeup to play a goofy Bollywood producer.

The ad -- which debuted on the Popchips website -- featured Ashton playing a variety of characters in a spoof "dating" commercial ... including a biker, a hippie, and an Indian guy named Raj.

The ad pissed off a whole bunch of people -- including blogger Anil Dash ... who called the ad, "a hackneyed, unfunny advertisement featuring Kutcher in brownface talking about his romantic options, with the entire punchline being that he's doing it in a fake-Indian outfit and voice."

Dash explained on his blog, "I think the people behind this Popchips ad are not racist. I think they just made a racist ad."

In the wake of the backlash, Popchips took down the ad ... and Popchips CEO Keith Belling issued a statement saying, "We did not intend to offend anyone. I take full responsibility and apologize to anyone we offended."

God-Of-Lyf

That's the problem, Too many people bow down to the ignorant. If it had been me I would tell em to go screw themselves!!!

angeladunn2006

This is NOT racist. I think we are taking this racist card waaaaay too far anymore.

Why so SERIOUS?!

Clearly the people offended must not know how to let go and laugh a little. Or wait, are these the sensitives that only 'laugh with' and not 'laugh at'??? Its comedy. Its supposed to be funny, not serious. Besides, people throw around the word 'racist/racism' faaaar too liberally (no pun intended...). 'Racism' is the belief that one race is superior in some or many ways than another. Where's the indication here that one race is better or worse than any others??? Exactly. There isn't.

myopinion

I found it to be FUNNY!!!! What's wrong with people these days? ridiculous

TMP

I am half black, so technically...brown. People need to lighten the F up already. Seriously, no one can say anything or do anything without someone, somewhere getting offended. I've seen WAY WORSE than this on TV where they make stereotypical jokes for amusement and people aren't offended.. they're watching and laughing. All this uber PC crap is getting so out of hand. If you friggin breath or glance in someones direction to long it's offensive. GET THE HECK OVER YOURSELVES PEOPLE and for the love of everything get a sense of humor!!!!!

TMP

I re-watched the video just to make sure that I didn't miss something and I'm sorry to those who were offended but you're being a big baby. The commercial was meant to be FUNNY. They didn't do anything that would make the Indian character seem any worse than anyone else. If anything that actually made him seem nice... so what is the big friggin deal. I know I already commented but I'm just tired of reading EVERYDAY about someone complaining that something is racist. I experienced real racism growing up and trust me... a commercial for a dating service where they parody different people is NOT THAT BAD. It's called having a sense of humor and if you don't have one.. you're entire life is going to be full of you being pissy and offended by stupid little things that you don't even need to waste your time on.

Angela

Why is it that people only get offended when it's a WHITE guy? There are numerous examples of black comedians in White Face! Eddy Murphy played a stereotype of a White JEWISH man and nobody says a word! People just need to stop being so ridiculously sensitive!! GET OVER YOURSELVES!!

JMP

really… I am so tried ob this political corectness…. why are people so damn stuck up??? It was supposed to be FUN!!! Why does everything has to be taken so damn serious? You want authenticity???? Then every sle woman in Hollywood needs to STOP wearing tons of make up, fake lashes, fake hair and plastic surgery.
Then no actor should be allowed to get into another character. Nobody made a fuzz when these two black guys dressed up as white girls in this movie (forgot the name). Whats wrong with you stuck up people??????

Sally

Absolutely brillant. Get a life non-lovers, this was a joke. You go Ashton - you certainly outdid Borat.

denschaft

I guess the blogger never saw an episode of the simpsons with Apu in it or Raj from the big bang theory, they should make more indian jokes, they talk funny and smell like ****, so why not exploit that?

Mathurini

This is ridiculous, it's not racist it's hilarious! http://mathurini.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/three-reasons-for-why-ashton-kutchers-latest-advert-is-not-racist/

Boozez

Laugh & the world laughs with you.Cry & you sound like a crybaby~

Neelika Jayawardane

Brownface http://wp.me/pzpmG-d68
Neelika Jayawardane @Africa is a Country
Kutcher's Bollywood Director persona is supposed to be funny only because of his physical antics, and outlandish costume. The dialogue? Boring lines in a badly imitated version of the accent that made Apoo (and Hank Azaria, the actor that provides many of the Simpsons’ character voices) a household name in the US. Indeed, many Indians speak accented English – some deeper than others, and varying by region – no news there. My 8th grade Math teacher, Mr. Dubey, spoke a much finer version of Kutcher’s attempted accent as he waxed lyrical about the virtues of the universal language of numbers.

At the risk of sounding like a caricature of Chimamanda Adichie’s “If you only hear one story about X, that is the only one you know”: if the only Indian that Americans know about is the 7-11 Apoo, how impoverished will our collective expectations be? Obviously, those Indian-Americans who shared chunks of their own startup companies, and bet on their futures together with Kutcher went straight online to voice their upset. They felt, as did Anil Dash, that “the onus is on [Kutcher] to respect his business partners.”

Dillon

I think people are just so sick of this douche bag that they are willing to say anything to get rid of him.

Fred Armisen as Ferecito. Darrell Hammond as Jesse Jackson.
Eddy Murphy in "White Like Me"
Any number of accents done by Robin Williams.
Hank Azaria as Apu.
Don Rickles and Howard Stern need no more explanation.
Jon Hamm and Tracy Morgan's 30Rock black face skit.
White Chicks by the Wayans Brothers.
All of these comedians have one thing in common. They have talent. Racial humor is pervasive. The problem with Ashton's ad is that Ashton is in it. He is an unfunny douche. Let's call it racist, homophobic, sexist and anything else we need to call it just to get rid of this douche bag.

julie

Has white chicks been pulled yet? Or that horrible one where Whoopi dresses like a white man?