Ashton Kutcher

Popchips Ad PULLED

Over Brown-Face

5/3/2012 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0503_ashton_kutcher_raj
Ashton Kutcher's new commercial for Popchips has officially been PULLED amidst allegations of racism ... after the actor donned brownface makeup to play a goofy Bollywood producer.

The ad -- which debuted on the Popchips website -- featured Ashton playing a variety of characters in a spoof "dating" commercial ... including a biker, a hippie, and an Indian guy named Raj.

The ad pissed off a whole bunch of people -- including blogger Anil Dash ... who called the ad, "a hackneyed, unfunny advertisement featuring Kutcher in brownface talking about his romantic options, with the entire punchline being that he's doing it in a fake-Indian outfit and voice."

Dash explained on his blog, "I think the people behind this Popchips ad are not racist. I think they just made a racist ad."

In the wake of the backlash, Popchips took down the ad ... and Popchips CEO Keith Belling issued a statement saying, "We did not intend to offend anyone. I take full responsibility and apologize to anyone we offended."

Kim

Give me a f*&^ing break - this is getting soooo ridiculous....someone needs to get a life!

dimwater

What about darl. no northen europen'se are in an uproar about that charicter. Get over it

Sportyrick

I spend good money trying to become brown at the tanning salon. Since when is Brown seen as bad? Seriously this is silly.

O_o

that is so SO stupid. they're making fun of several walks of life - it's called humor, for our newcomers. WELCOME TO AMERICA A$$HOLES. WE MAKE FUN OF OURSELVES. u want to come to America, you're gonna have to get the f* over yourselves.

MAUREEN

I think its hilarious!! People need to chill-out!

Sarah

And yet America finds WHITE CHICKS funny...

Brian

Heres the problem! Instead of the company telling the (in reality) few people who are complaining about the ad to suck it up and if you dont like it dont watch it. They fold to the social pressure. This just keeps happening over and over and now if you not a minority you have to walk on egg shells. If you are a minority you can do what you want and everyone laughs it off. Just sayin'

Are you kidding me?!?

I can't stand Ashton Kutcher, but pulling this ad is absolutely ridiculous. Anil Dash needs to find something better to do with his time. If this ad is racist, then Mike Myers in The Love Guru must have been unforgivable (and not just because it sucked). People are taking this racist thing WAY too far; get a sense of humour!

T Dub

I didn't see the commercial, but the photo of "Raj" looks like Burt Reynolds....

curiouscurious

We are beginning to be a sick society. Other nationalities are always acting as if they are other races; however, if a white person acts as if they are another race it is always called racism. We need to loosen up and know that some things are just acting.

smj

Whatever. Get over yourselves. Not much more to do...

Mr, Know it All

This was a very funny video and Ashton Kutcher did a great job! It needs to be put back on the air and to hell with those who are too damn sensitive... grow up people and get a life!!

Riley

Gotta agree, there is not a bit of this which could figure as racist. Just idiots being overly sensitive about a not particularly funny video.

Is it racist if I do an impression of a Canadian? No, so why is it racist to do an impression of an Indian character which neither portrays negative attitudes nor is mocking in tone?

Chill the ... out people!

Jimbob

I am a bearded biker and I am offended by this commercial, I mean come on bikers do NOT like poetry, we like dealing and doing meth, fighting and f_cking as many dirty hoes as possible. I hope they pull this ad before some of my biker friends see it and go ape poopy.

AH

Hey Anil Dash...if this ad is sooooo racist and had to be pulled...then the movie White Chicks needs to be pulled! I'm a white chick and find it offensive that black people put on white face and mimic how they think white people are...two can play at this game dumbass!