'Where the Wild Things Are'

Author Dies at 83

5/8/2012 6:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508_where_the_wild_things_Are
It's a terrible day for terrible creatures ... 'cause the man who wrote the children's classic, "Where the Wild Things Are" has died.

Maurice Sendak -- who not only wrote the book but ALSO drew the iconic "Wild Things" images -- passed away early this morning at a hospital in Connecticut after suffering a stroke on Friday.

0508_maurice_sendak_subasset
"Where the Wild Things Are" was first published in 1963 ... and was adapted into a major motion picture in 2009 ... the same year President Obama read the book to children at the White House Easter Egg Roll.

Maurice was 83.

Mel

What the hell does Obama have to do with the author?! Of all the people who read that story to kids, you really chose that @ssh*le!? You let me down TMZ!

cokeandpilates

I loved "Where The Wild Things Are" as a child and I read it to my daughter now. She also loves "Little Bear". R.I.P Maurice Sendak, you will be missed.

Sabrina

How sad. Such a great writer.

Cirrus Unicus

Well there goes the last of my childhood. I'm officially dead on the inside.

alex

ahhh... my son always loved that book! a loss of a man who touched most of our lives (well, if you have kids or were ever a kid)

Spencer B in MD

I know "Where The Wild Things Are" - They are living in the White House (until January, anyway)
oogah boogah!!

John_Dunkel

Where the wild things.... ARE.... read by Christopher Walken.

Ben

A great book, read tens of times, that made me think. What more could an author want. Thanks.

levyi

RUMPUS RUMPUS RUMPUS!

Nishima

Last conversation with Maurice Sendak!! RIP!! http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3377369

Vivek

R.I.P. Maurice Sendak you will always be remembered http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3377367 here Sendak talks about Death And Life whatever, he says in this clip is really touching really makes one look at life and death in a different way.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2