Mitchell Guist

Dies in Louisiana [Update]

5/14/2012 9:58 AM PDT UPDATED: 5/14/2012 4:11 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0514_swamp_people_mitchell_guist

update_bar
10:19 AM PDT --
Law enforcement sources tell us ... Mitchell was out in his boat along the Belle River ... when he "fell." Witnesses say he appeared to have been suffering from a seizure.

We're told another person on the boat returned the vessel to the dock and called 911. Emergency personnel responded to the scene and transported Mitchell to a nearby hospital ... but it was too late.

12:15 PM PDT -- A rep for the History Channel tells us, "We are extremely saddened to report that our friend and beloved member of the Swamp People family, Mitchell Guist, has passed away earlier today. Mitchell passed on the swamp, doing what he love."

4:11 PM PDT -- The 911 call, placed moments after Mitchell Guist fell, was just released to a local news station. According to the caller, Mitchell had a seizure then went into cardiac arrest.

051412_swamp_people_911_launch
0314_divider_graphic
Mitchell Guist
-- one of the bearded alligator-hunting brothers featured on the reality show "Swamp People" -- has died.

According to WBRZ.com, Mitchell was discovered at 9 AM in St. Martin Parish, Louisiana.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... someone tried to perform CPR on Guist ... but attempts to resuscitate the reality star were unsuccessful.

051412_guist_swamp_people_launch
Sources close to Mitchell tell us ... Guist had recently fallen ill ... but the nature of his illness is still unclear.

Story developing ...

0514_mitchell_guist_footer

Marie

AnonyMouse

Right on, Florida Girl. How have we become so depraved that we view death as entertainment? Live and let live.

PaulWS

Was that thing actually alive in the first place... eesh.

ArmyWife0423

My thoughts and prayers go out to his brother Glenn and his family. Swamp people will never be the same again. My husband and I enjoyed watching these brothers on tv, they always made us smile. God knew what Mitchell loved to do and made sure he left this world the only way he know Mitchell would want to. R.I.P thank you for all the great memories that you gave us while you were on the show.

candyff709

I'm so sad! heart goes out to his brother Glenn, those two were very close brothers and I hope he is able to cope with his brothers passing! :(

ZB

Well that sucks...he was cool. My thoughts go out to his brother.

pauldpr

to all of the haters out there. If you actually toke the time to get to know those "swamp people" and others from the 318. You would find out that 90% of the time those people are nicer then you would ever imagine. Piss us off and well feed you to the gators

jeff-byrd

live in the swamp....die in the swamp....rip.

CN

I loved watching Glenn and Mitchell (Glitchell, because they were hard to tell apart) because they were so real - and funny! As some have mentioned, don't judge a book by its cover. Mitchell was a kind, gentle soul and gave us a lot of laughs. RIP, buddy. Condolences to the family, especially Glenn.

I love anarchy

And yet... He looked so healthy... Just shocking!!

PeoplePerson

I was wondering if there was an address to send his brother flowers now that he's on his own it might help him feel at least somewhat better. My little boy and I loved the spirit of these brothers on the show. He was just a naturally happy man who lived off the land. God bless his family.

Robert

I'm incredibly saddened by the news of his passing but I find happiness in knowing that this man lived life as he chose and in the very end he found a little fame in doing so.
My favorite scenes were of him and Glenn traveling around barefoot in their john boat much like I did when I was younger.
Bless Mitchell, Glenn and all who will miss him.

j.weston67

Thats sad he was one laid back dude! Prayers to his family.

PeoplePerson

What in the crap is this world coming to? When someone dies people are suppose to mourn or rejoice in the fact that the person is in a better place. They are not suppose to find entertainment or amusement out of it or say harsh and bitter stuff to someone's family to make them hurt worse than they already are. And if you are one of these people YOU NEED TO FIND GOD, and if you have no faith at least grow the crap up. And also don't make assumptions about people you don't know and don't spread rumors if they aren't true all it does is hurt the people that dearly loved this man.
I have never meet him but I could tell he was a peaceful person who would never do anything to hurt anyone else so let him rest in peace.

pimpc