Former Bond girl Lana Wood -- who played Plenty O'Toole in the 1971 classic "Diamonds Are Forever" -- nearly died Tuesday night after going into anaphylactic shock ... and TMZ has obtained a picture of the desperate rescue effort.
Sources close to Lana -- the younger sister of Hollywood legend Natalie Wood -- tell TMZ, the actress was cooking dinner at her home in Fillmore, CA when she started having a coughing attack.
We're told she assumed it was just a bad cold -- but then the sneezing started, and her face and tongue swelled up ... so she went to urgent care to get it checked out.
We're told the local urgent care didn't have the resources to treat Lana -- so they called her an ambulance to take her to a nearby hospital.
The above picture was snapped as they were loading Lana into the ambulance.
By the time Lana got to the hospital, her entire face was swollen like a balloon -- forcing her eyelids closed and shutting her mouth. Lana also couldn't speak.
She was taken home hours later when the swelling subsided. Sources tell us, doctors believe the allergic reaction was triggered by an ingredient in Frosted Mini-Wheats.
We're told Lana is now feeling much better -- but is scared stiff about accidentally setting off another reaction.
'Diamonds Are Forever' Girl
Hospitalized for SERIOUS
5/26/2012 5:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Get TMZ Breaking News alerts to your inbox