Kathie Lee to Martin Short

How's Your Wife ...

Who Died 2 Years Ago

5/30/2012 10:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

053012_martin_short_today_launch
It might be the most cringeworthy few seconds in TV history -- Kathie Lee Gifford asked Martin Short how his wife is doing ... one small problem ... she died 2 years ago.

Martin appeared on "The Today Show" this morning to promote his new movie, "Madagascar 3" -- when Kathie asked, "And you and Nancy have one of the greatest marriages of anybody in show business. How many years now for you guys?"

Martin doesn't know how to respond, saying, "We ... have ... married ... 36 years."

Apparently Kathie didn't get the memo -- Martin's wife Nancy Dolman died in August 2010 from ovarian cancer.

0530_martin_short_nancy_getty
The clip gets even worse -- you have to watch.

Kathie later apologized on the air -- saying, "I feel so badly ... my apologies to him and his family."

GLaDOS

Why is the dumb c*** even on TV. People find her alcoholic ass entertaining? Martin Short should have punched her in the throat.

LOL

who the hell watches this lady anyway?

especially after that

Joey

She is a Freaking Idiot. It is no wonder that her husband was banging a flight attendane. all she worries about is her two dumbass talentless kids.
Why they geve her another chance is beyond sanity

LiveOutLoud

She is the biggest boob head on TV. Go away Kathie.

Sarah T.

Martin Short = classy guy....Kathie Lee = moron
She shouldn't be on tv. She once berated an boy who has autism. She obviously isn't a professional.

sean

Hey Kathie Lee,

Maybe instead of breaking out the wine at 10 in the morning... maybe you do, oh, 2 minutes of research on your guests. It's called Google, give it a try. And while you're there, Google yourself to find out what an absolute joke you are. I just hope Frank's still banging stewardesses on the side... for his sake.

nof

nof p.s.

Unless I accrue ten "hates" per post I consider it an off-day.

"Hates" for me - are uber-favorable responses.

kim

WOW!!! MARTIN HANDLED THIS SITUATION VERY GOOD...

Shar J

I truly don't understand why people enjoy watching Kathie Lee and Hoda in the first place. They are the main reason I quit watching the Today Show - too early to be nauseated by two old broads who think it's entertaining to act drunk and loopy.

The PMG

I honestly wouldn't have blamed him if he had flipped out at that. It's called "research" Kathy, put down the wine bottle and try doing it for once.

Sarah T.

Martin Short = classy...Kathie Lee = moron!!!
How is this drunk still on TV??? She once berated a boy who has autism. She's a horrible human being.

ts

what a moron ...the blonde really shows

Jamie

What a complete idiot!! Does she not do any kind of prep work before she does an interview?? Never liked KLG - really don't now.

I'llChewMyOwnFoodThankU

What a total f'n moron!!!!! I believe this is Kathie Lee's cue to disappear once and for all....if we're lucky. And, what an incredible show of class and decorum on the part of Martin Short! I have nothing but admiration and respect for that man.

nof

probably last p.s. for the day so be gentle:

Kathie Lee:

"So how's your wife doing?"

Martin:

"Uh, I haven't checked on her lately - but thanks for asking..."