Sesame Street

Allegedly Used to Torture

Guantanamo Bay Prisoners

5/31/2012 6:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0531_big_bird_guantanamo_bay_prisoners_getty
Forget waterboarding, Guantanamo Bay prisoners are now being tortured by BIG BIRD -- at least according to a new documentary released by Al Jazeera.

According to the doc -- called "Songs of War" -- detainees at the U.S. Naval base have been forced to wear headphones blaring Sesame Street music on repeat for hours or days on end ... to break their will (start at 2:00).

Award-winning Sesame Street composer Christopher Cerf tells Al Jazeera, "My first reaction was this just can't possibly be true ... "

Cerf says, "Of course I didn't really like the idea that I was helping break down prisoners, but it was much worse when I heard later that they were actually using the music in Guantanamo to do deep, long-term interrogations and obviously to inflict enough pain on prisoners so they would talk."

Reports surfaced in 2008 ... heavy metal like Metallica was used to torture people at Guantanamo -- but we gotta say, Sesame Street might just be worse.

rosebud

I suppose it was a toss up of big bird or barney the dinosaur.

Chris

I DON'T CARE !!
Were at WAR...
WAKE UP ! people.......................

DaveT

If you want to see the realities of war:
Go to Google Image.
Search..."wounded Iraqi children".
Many Obama-democrats hated Bush for war decisions he made...but refuse to hate Obama for the same decisions.
Most wars are for money profit, that includes wars approved, and encouraged by democrat politicians...not just republicans.
We do need military **defense**, since the beginning of time men have gone to the outskirts of their village to defend their people from outside attackers coming in.
But we're far beyond simple defense, most modern wars, big and small, are specifically designed to bring massive profit$ to the bureaucrats, politicians, and war weapon manufacturers.
Democrats have never been innocent of these things, but the great irony of modern times is that people have been convinced that the democrat party is...."the party for the people"...when in fact it's just as full of greedy, blood-thirsty murderous war-for-profit bureaucrats as the republican party.

Jdawg

They play Justin Beiber CDs when they interrogate them.That replaced water boarding and is much more effective.

BB not bb

Guantanamo Bay was just a mind control experiment. They took innocent Arabs/ Afghans, etc. and tried to see if they could break them and turn them into haters of the West. Neither Metallica nor Big Bird are meant to hurt innocent people. They want them to associate these cultural entities with pain and torture and attack the West s a result out of revenge.

We the American people, at least myself, do not support this in any way. I think it is disgusting. At least Metallica sounds good loud, but Big Bird would drive you half nuts. That Big Bird music is meant to capture the attention of little kids.

If you break someone's mind, they don't tell you the truth, they tell you what will make the torture end. A broken mind is a nonfuncitoning mind. These people had no intelligence info anyway. Most of them just made up things to seem cooperative.

I wonder if they played Metallica's And Justice for All to these people. That would be ironic, with lyrics like "Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin, rolls of red tape seal her lips now your done in, their money tips her scales again, make a deal, just what is truth I cannot tell, cannot feel. The ultimate in vanity, exploiting their supremacy, I can't believe the things you say, I can't believe the price you pay, nothing can save you." Which is basically about how corrupt America is and how it is coming to a downfall as a result.

Big D

WTF! This is stupid. Have them listen to the "It's a small world" song all day that will drive them crazy

Denver

If they really want to torture the terrorists, a Ben Affleck-Adam Sandler film festival should do the trick. All secrets would be revealed after the first showing of Jack And Jill or Gigli !!!

Cheryl A.

They need to use Barney. That stinkin' dinosauer has been screwing with my head for the past 17 years. Thank God my youngest is getting tried of him too. I'm sorry I ever started them on him.

ManBearPig

That do***entary was awesome....I'm super cereal

jack-55d79

The point isn't so much music, the point is all other sensations have been removed first. Blindfolds to remove sight and bound. So it's like the Sesame Street tune played repeatedly with NO WAY to escape it, for hours. Luckily from what I've read it turns out to be ineffective cause of the mental health side effects. Like most torture is only effective where it's specific battlefield intelligence rather than less specific intelligence. As for why it happened, I remember what it felt like on September 12th 2001. I'm not saying some of what happened was right, or justified, but I felt that pain, that rational anger, the same. So I can understand why they did it and probably would have done the same for some time after the attacks. Now it's a decade on I can look at it more objectively, more rationally, as can most people. I'd say we've learnt from it and Bin Laden is dead.

BB not bb

If you have been tortured, you may lose your mind for a while but when you get it back, you never forget what happened and always want justice for it. They wanted to turn these people into robots to just kill and destroy society. They treated them like they would train a dog to be vicious. They just want a violent outcome. I think some of these people were very good and peaceful and won't allow themselves to be turned into killer zombies like that.

They can try whatever dirty tricks they want, but they are nothing more than dirty Nazis enjoying torturing and destroying people, while getting paid and celebrating their own great opinions of themselves.

Afghans are tough people used to war. Maybe this psy-op will backfire in some ways. I am glad they are speaking out because it shows what kind of people are claiming to defend us.

ozkar1486

I used to use it on my kids to make em do they homework...dat **** works

VC In Ohio

So what? They were torutred with music. They killed americans. The civil rights people need to chill the hell out.

DEFINISHUN

WOW, ALL THESE COMMENTS ARE STUPID AS HELL. THIS WORLD IS DOOMED.

linda forsythe

why not use music to torture them! what does the guy expect tickle them with a feathe! they are terriorist! nnot shopliffters!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments