« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Ex Wrestler JBL

WWE Backing My

Everest Climb for Kids

6/6/2012 12:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0605_wwe_Charity-Mountain-Climb
Former pro wrestling champ John "Bradshaw" Layfield's attempt to climb 7 of the highest mountains in the world just got a quarter million dollar boost ... courtesy of his old cohorts at the WWE.

If you didn't know, JBL has been planning to climb the highest peak on each continent to help raise money for a charity he works with called Family Center -- the group helps needy kids in Bermuda where he lives. JBL was going to pay for the expeditions out of his own pocket until the WWE stepped up to help.

JBL tells TMZ, "The WWE is sponsoring my whole 7 summits trip and will help get the word out across their social media platforms ... all to raise money for the kids program."

45-year old JBL says 100% of the proceeds will go to Family Center -- and he hopes conquering legendary peaks like Everest and Kilimanjaro inspires the kids in Bermuda to know anything is possible.

The WWE sponsorship is key because ... sources close to JBL tell us the epic 2-3 year adventure could cost upwards of $250k. Now JBL says, "All I have to do is not die."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jordan

I hope you can do all 7 climbs is there a website for your charity i am very interested.

TGH

This sounds like quite a fascinating adventure, and with a good cause too which makes it even better. I imagine the WWE may work out a way to do***ent this adventure, whether it's through publishing JBL's diary or book relating to the climb, or through a do***entary. They'd be a little foolish I think not to take advantage of this opportunity to raise even more cash for charity - as well as obvious good publicity for themselves over at WWE.

Cole

That's people power for you, ladies and gentlemen. Vintage WWE!

bunny

That must have been Stephanie's idea because the WWE isn't that nice. Since he's a legend, they have to get some attention somehow.

Bridget

Wow what a great guy. The stuff I have seen on climbing these mountains, it would probibly take under an hour for me to burst into tears and curl up in a little ball, lol. But I'm a wimp... he obviously isn't.

Hope you gets back from your adventures safe and sound. You rock!!

Anonymous

I wonder how much he will raise. It seems to me that if this were REALLY for charity, they would just donate the $250K.
This seems more like a vanity trip to me.

Joe'smama

Why doesn't he just donate the 250k to the charity? Makes a lot more sense than getting his vacations paid for by someone else to "raise money" for a charity. The money's already there. Use IT to help needy kids.

Rude Boy

It's nice to see a positive story about a former wrestler. Especially one who's focused on doing something good and raising awareness for a good cause. I hope that he and whoever goes with him stay safe and they are ultra successful in the fund raising efforts.

Paddy

Check out Jordan Romero who accomplished this by age 13 a couple of years ago, not just Everest but all 7 summits

Meg

Why not just donate the $250k directly to charity??

richard

With RAW going to three hours now, 10 minute JBL segments can help fill the one hour of extra on air time.

DaveT

Awesome, good luck, and hilarious on the...."all I have to do is not die"...

malcolm

i remember watching him when i was younger..lol. i didnt like him. but that was just his wwe persona. now i see that hes a good guy. you go JBL!

Ms. Flamingo

I have watched pro-wrestling off and on for the last 35 years its nice to see WWE still remains a family to
one another. May you have safe travels and thank you for what you are doing.

Marsy

Anybody rich can just DONATE $250k to charity and call it a yawn. He is going to climb and risk his life for a cause he is passionate about. He's not going to do it the easy way because he is JBL !! Ahole in the ring, lovely hearted man.. Now I love him.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments