Amber Portwood

Overdose Attempt

Drove Me to Prison

6/7/2012 7:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

060712_portwood_gma_splash
"Teen Mom" star Amber Portwood had become so depressed in her rehab program she tried to overdose on pills -- and that's what drove her to quit drug treatment entirely ... entering prison instead.

A shackled Amber spoke with "Good Morning America" ... claiming, "I had taken 30 Suboxone [a drug used to treat opioid addictions] within 3 days. The depression took over. I would take 4 or 5 at a time."

Amber said, "I felt like I'd rather do my time and get it over with, and make the best of a situation that's been handed to me." Amber was sentenced to five years earlier this week.

She added, "I'm not just going to sit. I'm going to do substance abuse classes. I'm going to get my GED."

Still doesn't make any sense -- Amber had been given the opportunity to receive out-patient drug treatment ... WITHOUT PRISON ... but she chose prison anyway.

tmo

If you look at Opiod addictions and how difficult they can be to get out of or over, you would understand that by choosing prison, this girl chose life over death. It's as simple as that and I hope it works for her. Wishing her all the luck....she's going to need it.

Babycakes

This situation wasnt "handed" to you Amber anymore then your baby was an "accident". Good God take some rresponsibilty for your actions. THis girl is just beyond LAZY!!! No way inhell she will get her GED in jail just too damn LAZY.

seth

why wouldnt she just go to a lock down rehab facility or sober house? prison is a terrible experience. it complete takes away any dignity or self esteem you might have. not to mention she is going to have a tough time there because the inmates will be jealous of her "celebrity" status.

laura

This just goes to show what a f*cking idiot she is - you CANT overdose on Suboxone. It has a ceiling effect that prevents you from getting high OR OD'ing. It is used to wean opiate addicts off stronger opiates like heroin or oxycodone. What a moron.

RunzWithScissors

If she loved her daughter, she would do the rehab program and get clean. Essentially she is abandoning her daughter for five years. She doesn't deserve to be a mother.

Bren

I am glad she won't be able to hurt her little girl even more. Poor thing. I hope her life isn't too messed up as a result of having a bunch of idiots for parents.

seth

tmo - prison might be the only option for a homeless guy living on the streets. but she could go to a long term rehab facility and stay there for a year or more if needed. im sure many places would take her for free just because of her fame. prison is a terrible choice.

Buckaroobonzai

I hate this girl but I don't think she should die. Apparently TMZ feels that she should OD and Die so they have a fun story to report. I'm on the verge of *86ing TMZ from my life. You are obviously hateful people. Amber made the only decision she could to save her life and TMZ mocks her for it. It's one thing to hate a pointless reality star, it's another to wish them dead.

RaineeDrops

The drugs must have altered her reasoning, maybe she should be checked out by a neurologist, sounds irrational and like an area of her brain might have been effected by the drugs.

Why would any mother choose 5 years of prison over seeing their daughter grow up. There were other paths she could have taken, so something seriously must not be right with her brain.

Jeff

You can't OD on suboxone!!!!

RaineeDrops

Either she likes playing the martyr bit or else the drugs have caused damage to her brain, her thinking, her ability to make rational decisions.

Nancy

WHY IS THIS GIRL RELEVANT?!?!?!? WHY DO THEY KEEP PUTTING HER IRRELEVANT FACE WHERE WE CAN SEE IT?

craig

Why does it not make sense?If she is outside she will have access to drugs and does not want that,she wants to get better

alex

she sounds really messed up. as stupid as she is, i still feel bad for her

cokeandpilates

The thing is if it weren't for MTV, no one would care or know about this white trash druggie slut. She made a choice to use drugs. She didn't take her rehab program seriously, she kept right on using. She has no interest in improving her life or being a parent to her child. To me, she seems like a brat and I bet she never thought the judge would giver her the full 5 years and that she'd probably just get 90-120 days to get clean and teach her a lesson. At least her child has a chance at a normal childhood for the next 5 years.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments