« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

I'll Have Another

Scratched from Belmont

NO TRIPLE CROWN!!

6/8/2012 8:38 AM PDT UPDATED: 6/8/2012 10:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0608_ill_have_another_belmont_getty
I'll Have Another will not be the first Triple Crown winner in 34 years -- the thoroughbred has been scratched from tomorrow's Belmont Stakes ... and may never run again.

The horse's trainer Doug O'Neill just dropped the bombshell on "The Dan Patrick Show" ... confirming the rumors that I'll Have Another was indeed injured. He was not specific, but said there was a "little problem" with the left hind leg.

O'Neill said his horse seemed fine "to the eye" -- but clearly, something changed this morning ... just one day before I'll Have Another could have become just the 12th Triple Crown winner in history.

I'll Have Another had already won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness -- but O'Neill says the horse will not race again for at least 3 months, and could possibly be done for good.

A news conference is scheduled this afternoon in New York.

update_bar
10:20 AM PT -- I'll Have Another's trainer Doug O'Neill just spoke at a news conference, claiming the horse had developed tendonitis in its left front leg ... and that's why IHA was pulled. According to the trainer, the horse is now officially RETIRED.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bloomcounty.USA

Wonder if there's any chance that foul play was involved ... the way this is written it sounds like the horse was fine one day and the next he wasn't, and it happened to be the day before the race. Sounds a little fishy to me.

Bloomcounty.USA

... then again, it could just be the way it's written. : /

2muchinfo

there goes the ratings.

Pimpcessa

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if this had something to do with drugs, instead of an injury. The trainer has had some issues in the past, but I have no idea if he really did what he's accused of.

messygirl

Good. Poor horse, they run 'em to death.

Hey It Is Me

What a shame just when Canada is poised to dominate horse racing!

Tracy

Good! I was watching a piece on him this morning and thought to myself "I hope he doesn't get hurt." That seems to be the trend...a big win or two, then injury. I'm glad they saw the risk and scratched.

Who Knew

Awww man I was looking forward to that race. Good that they are looking out for the horses health.

Jim in Cali

Wow this is terrible news for the Belmont. Oh well, hope he gets better.

swampfox

saw the interview and them saying he was going to be put out to stud.....the horse was in the background with A BIG SMILE ON HIS FACE...he is going to horse bootyville....woot-woot.....

Rod

Better to be safe for the horse's benefit...not worth the risk of losing this beautiful animal.

LadyN

I hope the horse is treated well for the rest of his life now that he's no longer a moneymaker. He did his job well and deserves to live out his days happily.

Carl

Not only did TMZ get the leg wrong in the initial post, but after getting it right in the update no one went back to fix the original error.

Jay W.

That's too bad. Wanted to see if I'll Have Another would pull it off.

SD_User

Not surprised, but expected it would have been announced earlier. If you re-watch towards the end of the Preakness, you can see him over-extend that left front leg; it looks like the top of the short pastern bone touched the ground.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments