Robin Roberts

I Was Diagnosed with MDS

... but I'm Gonna Beat It!

6/11/2012 4:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

061112_robin_roberts_gma_launch"Good Morning America" anchor Robin Roberts has announced she was just diagnosed with a serious blood and bone marrow disease ... but says she's determined to beat it.

51-year-old Roberts just released a statement saying, "Today, I want to let you know that I’ve been diagnosed with MDS or myelodysplastic syndrome.  It's a disease of the blood and bone marrow and was once known as preleukemia."

She explains, "As many of you know, 5 years ago I beat breast cancer.  I’ve always been a fighter, and with all of your prayers and support, a winner. Sometimes the treatment for cancer can cause other serious medical problems."

"My doctors tell me I'm going to beat this -- and I know it's true."

Roberts says she will begin pre-treatment starting today -- chemotherapy in advance of a bone marrow transplant later this year.

Roberts adds, "Bottom line: I’ve been living with this diagnosis for awhile and will continue to anchor GMA.  I love what I do and the people with whom I do it.  Along with my faith, family and friends, all of you at ABC News give me the motivation and energy to face this challenge."

Bianca

I watch GMA as I get ready for work in the morning and absolutely LOVE this woman! Polished, upbeat, intelligent, and beautiful with a great sense of humor - I wish her more of the courage and strength she has displayed in her life so far.
But please TMZ, couldn't you have used a more flattering picture of this lovely and graceful woman?

northern gypsy

wow...all the more power to you R.R. keeping a positive attitude when in turbulent times speaks volumes about her character...get well soon...

Jackazz flatts

Who gives a rats......

whatsup

RR, may God be with you on the court for yet another challenge. You are strong and with your faith, family and friends, you can and you will beat this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bridget

I am watching the show now. She is my favorite. She is such a great woman and anchor. And very strong. If anyone can beat this, she can.

Nothing but the best of wishes and prayers for Robin. Now go and show MDS who's boss!!

Kari

My prayers for a full recovery, Robin. Keep up the positive attitude.

FlamingoNut

Poor woman can't catch a break. Hopefully all will go well. Hopefully this will bring more awareness and more people will join the National Marrow Donor Program.

nan

I am so sorry to hear this ..She seems like a really genuine, caring person and I remember what a fighter she was , with her last diagnosis.
Sending her caring thoughts and prayers..

gossipgirl86

I absolutley love this women! I am rooting for her! My mom went through this same thing. She beat breast cancer and then got MDS. Sadly leukemia took her in '92. I wish Robin the best and pray that she beats this horrible disease!

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Is she STILL in the closet?

parlayer

Hope the loony Left mouth, "Dosen't Beat it" Trash, and comunism is what spews through her Big Mouth.

Carla628

I really respect how brave Robin Roberts has been and I pray for her through this personal ordeal.

Marlow

This is about the worst of the worst diagnosis. My mom died of this vicious disorder. Wow! Prayers to her. It's fairly rare in women and never curable...occasionally can go into remission. Very, very sad.

Joey

Best Wishes Robin You can beat it

And thats the truth

I absolutely adore Robin. She is an extremely classy lady. I am so sad to hear this. I didn't know she had breast cancer. I hope she can beat this too.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments