Rodney King

He Was In Good Spirits

Before he Died

6/17/2012 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0617_rodney_king_getty_tmzRodney King sounded upbeat and excited about an upcoming celebrity boxing match, this according to a friend who spoke to him just hours before his death.

Damon Feldman -- who worked with King on the boxing circuit and has known him for several years -- tells TMZ he spoke to King at 4:00 PM and they discussed his future in boxing.

Feldman says Rodney was excited about his next boxing match -- a fight with Jose Canseco -- that was to take place in August. A press conference had been scheduled for June 29 to announce the battle.

Feldman tells TMZ that Rodney was thrilled to be working again and looking forward to getting back in the ring.

King died early this morning at his home in Rialto, CA. He was 47.

0617_rodney_king_getty_remembering_AP

Hawaiian

CSI should check if the pool was full of vodka!

Silverado Mom

Not a good idea for a beating victim to join in on a boxing event. I will forever appreciate his sincerest words during a very emotional time for him to us all. And even though we can't always, I hope we at least try to get along.

Silverado Mom

I hope there is a thorough investigation. And I wonder if he was pulled out immediately, would it have made a difference? My condolences to his family.

notalawyer

...King was at the house all day drinking, and he smoked marijuana at some point...

"He Was In Good Spirits
Before he Died"

itsnoise

RIP Rodney all the racist making jokes I hope you or your family gets their butt beat by the cops and see how it changes you.

Seldombinlaid

A very young man. I'm hoping that they do an autopsy on this man.

tgrfan42069

We're told Kelley says she next saw King at around 5:00 AM when she was awoken by him screaming in the backyard. Our sources say Kelley found King naked, banging on the glass, and she called out to him, "What's wrong, Rodney?"

yeah seems like he was in good spirits eh?

Throwback kid

I think the PAPD should pay for his funeral and issue an official apology for the savage beating they administered to Rodney King. I can't even imagine who terrified Mr King must have been while these cops beat him to within an inch of his life and they did it with smiles on their faces. After seeing that video I lost all respect for the LAPD, to me they are thugs. They didn't cause Mr King to start his problems with alcohol but thet certainly gave him post traumatic stress syndrome thanks to the beating they gave him. I still can't believe any of those police officers didn't have to go to jail for what they did to him. RIP

tgrfan42069

he fought the law and the law won

Seldombinlaid

I was always in good spirits when I used to drink. I imagine the weed helped him too. Every one trying to be Charlie Sheen, and fai;ling.

chris

Rodney King was in good spirits before he died.

Well I guess he was. Drinking and smoking weed will do that to you. lol

IceGypsy

Sadly, the headline should have read "was into good spirits" .... sad to see such a young man pass on.

Carl Wive

"was In Good Spirits before he died"? Of course he was. He was drunk and high.

soobeedoo

Uhhhh...he was drinking and smoking weed....sure he was in good spirits!!!! You'd be too!!!

northern gypsy

awhile back i caught a brief interview with my overwhelming impression being man-o-man does this fellow have issues...let his tortured soul rest in peace and condolences to his family and friends...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments