Nora Ephron

Hollywood Legend

Dead at 71

6/26/2012 5:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0626_Nora-Ephron_getty
Nora Ephron -- the legendary Hollywood writer who penned the screenplays for "Sleepless in Seattle" and "When Harry Met Sally" -- died Tuesday after a battle with leukemia.

According to Ephron's son Jacob Bernstein, the 71-year-old had been suffering from acute myeloid leukemia ... and took a turn for the worse in recent days after coming down with pneumonia.

Ephron scored 3 Academy Award nominations in her illustrious Hollywood career ... and was widely considered one of the most powerful women in the entertainment industry.

Among her most memorable films ... "Silkwood" ... "My Blue Heaven" ... "Michael" ... "You've Got Mail" ... and "Julie and Julia."

Ephron was married to (and famously divorced) Watergate scandal reporter Carl Bernstein ... before entering her 3rd (and final) marriage to screenwriter Nicholas Pileggi.

0626_nora_ephron_remembering_footer

Phyllis_Z

Nora was the best. I've been a fan of hers for 30 years, before she was even known for her movies. What a great writer. She made it look easy, but as a fellow writer, I know that it isn't.

Phyllis_Z

Nora was the best! I've been a fan of her for 30 years, before her movie days.

brenda

She was one of the few who knew how to do a movie that was entertaining and thoughtful. No need for fancy CG or gimmicks. May she RIP.

Kabala

Sad news - she was a brilliant writer who will be greatly missed.

cobrazombie

When Harry Met Sally is one of the best movies Hollywood ever made. Thank you and RIP, Ms Ephron.

palermo

I always enjoyed her work, may she rest in peace

Porsche Bill

Thank you, Nora. Your work will live forever.

Michelle

She will be missed. One of the great writers in Hollywood. She not only understood women she let men be men. I know she will be at peace. My ♥ goes out to her family.

Jay W.

One TALENTED Lady ! RIP Nora.

OldeGreyWoolf

Wow! What a talent! She wrote just about all of my favorite romance comedies! She was great! "Sleepless in Seattle" and "You've got mail" are classics, timeless.

This one leaves a big hole in the universe!

Rest well, Nora! You've earned it! Gone far too soon!

Cancel is cruel disease; I lost both my parents to it!

omegabeta

So sad. I'm an atheist. But I hope I'm wrong about all that and Simone de Beauvoir, Sojourner Truth, Frida Kahlo, Gertrude Stein and Nora are having a hell of a time right now!

shellypow

This is a very sad day indeed... this warm hearted amazingly talented lady was a blessing ... if it wasnt for Nora we wouldnt have the pleasure of all those timeless classics that we never tire of watching ... Sleepless will always be one of my all time favorite movies.Im sure the angels were there to meet you and take you home God bless you Nora and may you rest in peace xx

Raejean

Someone with real talent. R.I.P., Nora.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Loved many of her movies. Thanks for the memories & RIP Ms. Ephron.

charles