Nora Ephron

Hollywood Legend

Dead at 71

6/26/2012 5:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0626_Nora-Ephron_getty
Nora Ephron -- the legendary Hollywood writer who penned the screenplays for "Sleepless in Seattle" and "When Harry Met Sally" -- died Tuesday after a battle with leukemia.

According to Ephron's son Jacob Bernstein, the 71-year-old had been suffering from acute myeloid leukemia ... and took a turn for the worse in recent days after coming down with pneumonia.

Ephron scored 3 Academy Award nominations in her illustrious Hollywood career ... and was widely considered one of the most powerful women in the entertainment industry.

Among her most memorable films ... "Silkwood" ... "My Blue Heaven" ... "Michael" ... "You've Got Mail" ... and "Julie and Julia."

Ephron was married to (and famously divorced) Watergate scandal reporter Carl Bernstein ... before entering her 3rd (and final) marriage to screenwriter Nicholas Pileggi.

0626_nora_ephron_remembering_footer

Sautxyca

Nora Ephron's special recipe for a joyful sauce lives on.

MarleyMcgarry

so sad Nora Ephron passed away. What a talented person we've lost

Rob

Never heard of her, could care less. You celebrity worshipers are too much...

pattycake

YAY i hope it was painful

Nishima

Nora Ephron's life in pictures .. http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3389238

your own luck

So gifted and talented. She created wonderful movies and books for our entertainment. R.I.P. Nora.

ragu4u

Crap! I thought that was a pic of Lily Tomlin.

robocop

Truly an icon in Hollywood. Her movies were sweet and smart, unlike the smarmy nonsense of today's rom-coms. May she RIP. She will be sorely missed.

Cathleen

I had the privilege to interview Nora a few years ago for a segment on my Spotted In Boston site. After the interview I told her I'd written my first screenplay, "The Girl From New York City." I'm sure Nora had thousands-upon-thousands of inspiring screenwriters tell her the same thing; but, for me, even if my words never make it to the big screen, one of the best moments in my life came after Nora listened to me ramble about the premise of my screenplay and responded with that big Nora smile saying "I love it! -- It's sounds like something I would write!" No greater compliment could this inspiring rom-com screenwriter have ever received than to hear such words from the master of the rom-coms. It's too easy for the wannabe-elitists to take potshots at what a loss it is to know Nora will never again pen such simple, but yet, in-touch with what funny and silly events lead to the current ways boys meet girls (and vice-versa) these days. Just hearing the title to one of her sensational rom-coms instantly transpires me back to the first time I saw them -- and who I was with at that time (i.e. old boyfriends, etc.). It's like hearing an old song on the radio and not being able to resist breaking a smile and remembering that song playing when I was with a bunch of girlfriends, driving to the Cape on a sparkling summer day in a friend's old convertible. (Cathleen SpottedInBoston.com)

Felicia V.

This is a sad day for me. Nora Ephron was one of my favorite writer/directors. I think I may have seen every film she's done and loved them all. She was Queen of the intelligent Romantic Comedy and created smart, funny, witty characters that I identified with and wanted to know as friends. She will be sorely missed.

Christina Smythe

What a great loss! Rest in peace Nora. We can all leave our memories with her at her memorial page within Facebook. Here's the page. https://apps.facebook.com/evertalk/index/memorial/noraephron528

Christina Smythe

Christina Smythe

jacklyn johnson

Yes. We can leave our stories about Nora on her memorial page at https://apps.facebook.com/evertalk/index/memorial/noraephron528

jacklyn johnson