« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Bad Ass Congressman

Attacks AZ Law

... Using Justin Bieber

6/28/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0628_cspan
This. Is. AWESOME.

Justin Bieber, Jeremy Lin and Geraldo Rivera were thrust right into the center of the controversy surrounding Arizona's "Show Me Your Papers" law ... courtesy of one pissed off congressman.

Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL) took the floor of the House of Representatives yesterday and played a game called, "Pick Out the Immigrant" ... in an effort to prove it's impossible for law enforcement to determine someone's citizenship based on their appearance.

Gutierrez -- clearly fired up about the recent Supreme Court ruling backing parts of the SMYP law -- explained, "In Arizona today, all that stands between you and a legal nightmare is whether a police officer feels there is a reasonable suspicion to inquire about your country of origin. Yet, Arizona politicians will tell you with a straight face no less, that they can apply this law without using racial profiling."

To prove them wrong, Gutierrez showed several pictures featuring two famous people and challenged congress to "Pick Out the Immigrant."

Gutierrez concluded, "The point is simple ... the idea that any government official can determine who belongs in America and who doesn't simply by looking at them is completely ridiculous, unfair and un-American ... and yet this absurdity is the law of Arizona."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

mark

I support Arizona, I would not have a problem showing anyone by citizenship, bascially I am sick of illegal immigrants and I am a democrat. but will change alliance because of this very issue.

Jessica

Isn't it called a driver's license? Officer "Excuse me, do you have proof of citizenship?" Me "Why yes officer, here is my government issued driver's license". Whatever you look like, if you are driving a car you should have a government issued driver's license. If you don't have a license, get an ID card...again government issued.

Googie

How does that prove anything. The question is papers prove who is legally here and who is illegally here. These people who are for protecting illegals do not live in the everyday world who are affected by the resources taken from citizens and legal resident and given to illegals.

So tired of paying high taxes and then our legal resident do not get the benefits they should be getting.

Poopey Poopstein

Gutierrez is an illegal greaser alien so his opinion doesn't count

Rebecca

CA is giving free education to the illegals!!! I live in the bay area and that's all I see is illegals living of the taxpayers. We are so broke it isn't funny at all. They even got website for them to apply for financial aide. I am CHICANA born and raised in CA. My father is from MX and my mom is from TX. My paternal grandparents are from MX (they still live there). My maternal grandfather (RIP) was from TX and my maternal grandmother is from MX, she lives here in CA. I don't mind showing my ID cuz that is a government issued do***ent by the State of CA. That's all the cops will ask if they were to pull you over and if you can't provide that then they will ask you for another government issued do***ent (ie passport, greencard, etc). I have nothing to hide.

Rebecca

But he does make a good point.

DizzKid

Tough subject, but something needs to be done now though, because it's getting way out of hand now. And god forbid, that I don't want to see any race crimes suddenly happen because of this. And that all going too say.

elysummers

I agree with the congressman. However, if congress hadn't gutted the imigration laws back in the '60...s we wouldn't be where we are today. It should have been addressed in a comprehensive and human way back then.

STFUP

"it's impossible for law enforcement to determine someone's citizenship based on their appearance"
What an IDIOT!
The law, in NO WAY, says they ask about citizenship based on "appearance".
There are CLEAR guidelines:
1. If the person they pulled over has no license.
2. If the person they pulled over is acting very 'nervous'.
3. If they person they pulled over has no or very poor English skills.
NONE of the indicators they are using are based on appearance. You'd think a congressman would actually KNOW more about the law. I guess not.

brown dynamite

Want to fix this issue, ask EVERYONE WHO IS DRIVING (passengers are exempt) for proof of residency on a routine stop. No racial profiling, no issues.

Googie

BRAVO, WELL SAID REBECCA. I am also chicana & share your feeling. Our state is crying about being broke, yet they have money to loan (like it'll ever get paid back) illegals for education. How do illegals manage to get medical care, yet our citizens & legal immigrants can't get medical attention. Politicians have deep pockets with our tax money. Politicians should make sure legal residents are taken care of first.

tiredofwhiners

Well, CherylA, you need to learn how to spell border. It's un-American that you can't even spell a simple word like that. And the congressman is right. My aunt, born in Mexico, was never asked to prove she was a U.S. citizen even though she was not because she had blond hair and blue eyes. She voted, ran for office (in Hammond, Ind., across from Chicago, coincidentally) and lived as an American until she died in her 80s. And CherylA, if you wanna pick fruit and veggies, other crappy jobs, go for it. You're awfully comfortable in your little world.

StarFleetVeteran

Justin Bieber doesn't LIVE in America. He comes here to work concerts and shows, which is not a job that just any immigrant would do. He has, in fact, said that he has absolutely no plans to seek American citizenship. And there's a big ass difference between a rich celebrity coming here to tour and make some TV appearances, and a poor immigrant coming here to live, work, and take our benefits. Get your facts straight. I call this a FAIL.

Oh, and furthermore, at this point I don't blame Bieber for not wanting to become an American citizen. All the crap going on here makes me want to run screaming to Canada most of the time!

Justathought

I love this country served in the military as did my father and uncles on both sides of my family from WW2 to Iraq...That being said I believe it is unfair to those who come into this country legally dealing with all the red tape but do it because it is the correct way...For those who say you cannot tell an immigrant from a non is fooling themselves or have never been to a town in Cal, NM, AR,...My grandmother came from Mexico loved where she was from but understood that it was up to her and my Grandfather to get their papers and learn to speak english....We have made it too easy to not have to learn english..It is OUR job to learn Spanish, Korean, etc. rather than the other way around. Its crazy that you get passed over for a job because all you know is english...I have yet to see a spanish speaking channel on tv trying to teach its listeners to learn english because it will help them in this new country, instead its programs with big busted women in short skirts dancing around with breasts falling out....And they come on the news and have the ballz to say people are holding them back....For those going around saying we have enuf to go around....I live in Southern California and from what I remember from school this place is a desert, if it wasnt for the water from up North it would still be...People think the water comes out of nowhere. You can only put so many rats into a area before they start to eat eachother!

There's a problem here

Listening to some of the TMZ clips I think the patrol should set up shop in Hollywood and check out all the paps. They all sound Mexican to me.