Tom Cruise

& Katie Holmes

Divorcing

6/29/2012 10:40 AM PDT UPDATED: 6/29/2012 3:13 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes to Divorce.

update_bar
11:05 AM PT -- Katie filed the papers
-- and Tom was "blindsided." Katie wants sole legal custody and "primary residential custody" of Suri.

0314_divider_graphic
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting DIVORCED ... after 5 years of marriage.

Katie's attorney, Jonathan Wolfe released a statement saying, "This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family."

Wolfe adds, "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter's best interest."

TMZ has learned Katie filed the docs in NYC ... and wants SOLE custody of Suri.

We're told Tom and Katie have a prenup.  The net worth of both Tom and Katie is around $275 mil, but clearly Tom raked in most of that.

For what it's worth, Katie did not attend any of the "Rock of Ages" premieres.

Tom and Katie have one child together, Suri, who is 6-years-old.

49-year-old Tom has 2 children from his previous marriage to Nicole Kidman. He was also married to actress Mimi Rogers from 1987 to 1990.

Cruise and 33-year-old Holmes were married in November 2006 in a lavish ceremony held at an Italian castle.  The split was first reported by People.com.

Tom has been spotted in Iceland this week where he's been shooting a movie called "Oblivion."

0629_tom_crouise_iceland_Splash3Katie and Suri have been spotted in NYC all week. Katie was still wearing her wedding ring.

0629_katie_holmes_nyc_article_2
update_bar
Update #1 -- Sources tell TMZ ... Scientology was a major factor in Katie's decision to pull the plug on the marriage.

Update #2 -- Tom and Katie were HOLDING HANDS in Iceland just 2 weeks before Katie filed for divorce ... more proof Tom was truly "blindsided" by Katie's decision to end the marriage.

0629_tom_katie_footer

Gussie271

Team Kate

Betty

Congratulations Kattie!! at last you're free from this maniac with the brain washed by the scientology, you're beautifull inside and outside, be happy.

Larrry Manning

Cruise needs to be very careful not to come off bulling Katie Holmes in this divorce or he will loose what little respect he has.

muffey

Katie and my daughter attended and graduated from Notre Dame Gilrs Academy in Toledo, Ohio. I was very surprised that she chose to marry Tom and get involved in this Scientology cult. Her parents are devout Catholics and Katie has 9 siblings. I think she was caught up in his "stardom". I spoke with my daughter who now lives and practices medicine in Mountain View,CA and she is not surprised.

Lizzie

Ha! I’ve been a Scientologist for 40 years and it’s made every part of my life better and I've had a lot of fun. Sure, everyone has the right to believe whatever they want and certainly with religion. No one in Scientology would “force” a person to do anything. That’s ridiculous. Check out the REAL website at scientology.org and find out for yourself but don’t just listen to crazy gossip mags which are only trying to sensationalize everything and anything for profit! LOL - life's too short to not enjoy every moment!

Suzi

Shocking really, if this is true... I wonder what went wrong? I mean I know the rumors, but anyone with a brain takes those for what they are worth. I am saddened by the breakup, for the children. But you know, we are not in this relationship and we don't know the ins and outs of it so perhaps this is the best thing. I doubt Katie takes this lightly and no woman wants to be a single parent by choice so I am sure she considered staying a lot longer than she should have. Divorce is hard, I hope they are cordial and kind to one another, and then I hope Katie goes all over the media and tells all!!!

sprouters

Katie looks like she has had the life drained from her by Cruise. He can now come out and she can enjoy her life.

VictoriaGonzalez

You know truly, she must be in fear for her life. Scientology does not forgive. And they don't let go of something once they get their insidious little hooks in it. They are argogant, and this is a public spanking. She should reach out to Anonymous. No one hates Scientology more then them. It would take them a full 3 minutes to make sure she all the money should could every need as she gets ready to battle with this beast. Look how Nicole Kidman lost her children when she left.

J

I think Tom Cruise, is mostly about Tom Cruise, period.

heather

tom could not get nicole kidman pregnet. i don't think it's his kid. here me out, if you rember she was with chris kline right before tom and suri looks like chris and katie more than tom.

Zee

Run little girl! Run like the wind! Whatever is wrong with Tom, John Travolta, Will Smith and Justin Bieber cannot be fixed by women. All the bridal gowns, big weddings, children and money can fix it. Oh, let us not forget Eddie Murphy! Ummph! Ummph!

Caelum

Was totally surprised, it was really stupid of her for giving up on Chris Klein and replacing him for Tom Cruise. Thought they were of the same wave length when she married him, such stupidity on her part. You don't exactly close your eyes to a guys shortcomings when you marry him but then I guess she'd probably say she was blinded by the whirlwind romance when he lift her off her feet. Now she has to pay the price of sharing her daughter, Seri with a weirdo. I feel sorry for the kid cause if Tom Cruise wins the custody of their daughter, she'd turn out to be a spoiled brat whose going to end up making her life miserable.

Billy

That is wild.

Cajun Girl

Good for her..But, the pcture above sure looks like Katie..the ring on "her" finger in the pic. w/ Tom looks like Katie's as well.

DeeDee

How come Tom has a huge fur hat on and the woman is walking around in a little shirt?