Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

Perky

His parents knew before he did. But anyway, we're only interested in whether he prefers uncut or cut peen, and why of all people does he choose a gay bar owner for a partner. Talk about stereotypical. Gay bar owners are on par with gay bath house owner.

MrR

Knock me over with a fetish.

bunny

Okay, show of hands of people who were dumb enough to think he was straight?

Sada

I still LOVE him!

khoran

I am Muslim and I don't advocate being hateful to anyone regardless of their sexual orientation , but G-d has shown through scripture his dis satisfaction with that kind of lifestyle. I could care less what he does or any other homosexual , I'm more concerned about the ruling class who want to continue to strangle the less fortunate , their sins are less forgivable

mark

why is it that gays NEED to announce that they're indeed gay? i don't blame them at all though...it's our society that pays far too much concern over how people on TV behave in their private moments. when has a heterosexual ever needed to announce in front of an audience that he's straight? never.

leave everyone alone and just let them be for god's sake! that really should be everyone's motto - leave people alone and let them live their lives in private and with dignity! unless their last name is kardashian in which case they should have rotten tomatoes (or hot urine and farm animal manure for that matter!) thrown at them daily.

CathyJ

I had the pleasure of meeting Anderson a few years ago while he was on assignment with CNN. He was so professional and charming that his sexual orientation wasnn't even a thought .What upsets me is in 2012

xirnibor

i cant decide which is funnier? pooper cooper or cooper scooper?! did anyone really not know he's gay? shocker!

Studley Buck

The fact is, everyone already knew Candy Andy was a pansy.

LRT

Good for him...we are who we are.. THOSE THAT MATTER....DON'T CARE THOSE THAT CARE....DON'T MATTER!

campy

I'M SHOCKED! I HAD NO IDEA!!

William

Ok Bieber your on the clock now.

Legit

Awkward how gays want equality. But every time a celeb is gay the media who mostly supports gay rights, stands up and makes it a whole fiasco. In my opinion, the fact that "Gay" keeps making headlines looks like "gays" are different than everyone else. Matt Bomer was the first gay celeb I have ever heard mention that. He doesn't like to be labeled a "Gay actor" because he is an actor and wants to be called so. They don't call Brad Pitt a "Straight Actor". Labeling one by there sexual orientation before their occupation shows they are different from the rest of society. If I was a gay celeb I would fight the media about making it news every time someone is gay. If we are all equal as far as gender, ethnicity, background, sexual orientation then why do we label one another by those things. When a celeb is straight there sexual orientation doesn't make news. So why does gay? Making Gay be headlines looks like being gay is Different. Now Anderson is going to be labeled as a Gay Journalist with everything he does. I don't mean to rant, but gay celebs who are most vocal about gay equality (being treated like everyone else), should really stand up and tell the media to stop making them seem different, by creating a story every single time someone says I'm gay.

jjh

WHAT ????? NO WAY !!!!!! shocked, just kidding my gaydar went off long time ago Love you Anderson you are one hot gay guy kiss'es From the mom of a gay son. And for those that still think choice well think away It don't matter

elm

It took him a lifetime to finally cough it up in public, then says he's always been comfortable with it. Even the last 10 years in which it was the open secret, still he never until now acknowledged it even with his big public forum. Johnny come lately (and often it appears lol)