Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

MikeP

"Whaaaaaaat?" Good for him, He is awesome, amazing person, gay straight, or whatever.

palermo

Glad he came out when HE was ready, not when somebody else thought he should be.

David

If he's so proud of being gay, why did he wait so long to come out? Everyone already knew he was gay anyway.

Sandra

Good for him and after all sexual orientation is his business only!! I have been and remain a respectful Anderson fan!!

Quinn

um didn't he come out like ten years ago? who DIDNT know he was gay? I mean really now. Unless he's using the term gay as in happy individual. because honestly he seems kinda like a wound-up crank ass.

Diamond

Who didn't know this? Why does it matter? TEAM ANDERSON

Bridget

Good for him. We all already knew, but it is nice he said it. I'm a big Anderson fan and I am happy he finally felt comfortable saying it publicly.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

How is this news when everyone knew before he confirmed it?

Calinative

OMG! Shocked!

jordii

I really thought this was something everyone knew already. Same thing happened when Ellen "came out"; I thought we already knew that too.

tom

Who's next....Matt Lauer or Tom Cruise?

Jay

Anderson Cooper, thanks for being a good role model to every young gay men out there. And I say that from the bottom of my heart.

tomL

who cares

freaksloan

WHO CARES!

How many straight people come out with delclartions of being straight?

Betty

What a surprise....NOT!!!! I don't care. I don't want to know ANYONE'S sexual orientation. Just continue to have a good, informative program and don't try to shove your beliefs down everyone's throat. Let's just keep some things private.