Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

swaflygirl

Love him, always have, always will!

linda

Surprise? NO! Most everyone has known this for years. Should've "come out" years ago. The fact is, everybody already knew, big whoop!

paigehop

I'm guessing he has incontinence. Depends, anyone?

ladydiinpa

some women are so blinded by somethings or in denial...I heard for years he was gay--and I aways say a good clue is-never seen with a woman, not unless the gay man wants to have a "beard" alias fake wife/girlfriend so it apprears he is not gay. if nothing else his "giggle" gives him away!!

Jayla

Great. Now go back in the closet. You were useless before, still useless now.

superchicken

I don't see the news in this .. he's had the nickname "Pooper Cooper" for awhile now.

Georgia Republican

This is no surprise at all, everyone knew Anderson played for the wrong team.

Jeff Kent

I think you are a very strong and inteligent man. Coming out is the best thing you could ever do. I just wished I could met you in person, I would make you mine. LOL

Jeff

Jeff

"Surprise" ...? No surprise - but still I am glad he is Ok with being who he is without making his sexual orientation the main theme of his life. He is a fantastic journalist who fully invests himself in everything he does. While I do not agree with every story he does - I always respect his perspective!

Sloane

a non issue as far as I'm concerned
Anderson is a great guy
we'll know that we've come a long way in this country when people no longer feel the need to publlicly "come out"
sadly- a ways to go still....

L.T

is this a big deal anymore? who cares

Sherborne

Thank You for this revelation,Anderson, now it's officially out. You're always one of my role models. I wish other great men in the past had the opportunity to reveal themselves and be proud like you, how lucky you are to live in this era of acceptance. I read the story of Alan Turing a few days ago, one of the most respected mathematicians in history, how he was proud and unabashed about being gay but in the end his coming out caused him his life because people didn't accept him in that era of time. I'm so glad I get to witness this moment in time where being 'out' is no longer a big deal.

janehafker

If more of you idiots would quit bashing the independent newspapers which cannot be bought off, paid off, scared off from printing actual facts about celebrities you are all worshipping, like it or not, you would now these things years in advance.
The Globe showed him with his live-in "husband" I guess. I like Coop. But read the "tabloids", idiots and you won't feel as stupid when the lame stream media is finally forced to cough up the real truth.

catchick330

For some reason I thought this was long a known fact. I`m wondering why it`s just now making news. Hmmm

ray