Singer Frank Ocean

My First Love Was a Man

7/4/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0704_frank_ocean_getty
Kanye West collaborator Frank Ocean -- from the rap group Odd Future -- has just declared he is gay ... or bisexual.

The revelation makes him the first hip hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men.

Ocean -- who collaborated with Kanye and Jay-Z on "Watch the Throne" -- posted the long, dense message on his Tumblr this morning, writing, "Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too."

"We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile.”

“Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.”

He added, “I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore ... I feel like a free man.”

There has been a lot of intolerance in the hip hop world toward gays and bisexuals, so Frank's disclosure has enormous importance. It will be a bellwether for other stars who are considering coming out.

Frank's Odd Future band mate Tyler the Creator tweeted after Frank posted the message, writing, "My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever."

bdng09

Good for him! I support him 100%.

TTT

CNN and TMZ keep reporting on this guy like he is well known... Everytime I see an article on him, I think... and who is he again? It will be news only when Queen Latifah, or Eddie Murphy, or Jamie Foxx comes out.

Kimberly

Every time someone voices their opinion AGAINST homosexuality there comes a gay supporter attacking you, calling you homophobic plus all kinds of insults and asking you how does the fact that someone's sexuality is your business. Now I ask the same question, why is my opinion about homosexuality your business?? Will that stop you from being gay? Why you can tell the world that you "came out" for being gay, expect everyone to cheer for you and I can't say I like to be straight? Gays are always asking for equality, but they are fast in attacking and insulting straight people when they don't agree with their choices. If you are FREE to rub your sexual choice on my face, I am also FREE to say I don't support it!!

Tek

I don't even know who he is, but if he's gay, good for him. Nobody cares. But he's NOT gay. He's bisexual. I wonder how many women slept with him without knowing?? Being gay is one thing. Being bi is quite another. Pick a side, dude. That is nothing to play with.

Stratcat

Glad that he has come out and I hope he continues to have success. Unfortunately, the cRap "community" is notoriously homophobic and I would not be surprised if they turn on him.

Nisha

Wow, I didn't see that coming. I ain't mad at him, it's just you could keep some things to yourself personally. I just don't believe that the world should know all of your business. I have nothing against gays and bisexuals. If that rocks your boat, by all means necessary, do that. Just keep some things to yourself.

Paula

The widening of this agenda!!!smh

jokerchick

his first love was Kanye

DaleVM

So Frank Ocean is on the "down low". So tell me, TMZ, what's the "down low" of how you got Mel Gibson's police report? Inquiring minds really want to know!!!

parlayer

"??My first lover was my hand" Guess you were born with your head on backwards. now go spread aids all through the world of camp followers, and groopies that are impressed and can't live with out abuse and insults. "Would you suck my unit if I washed it first?? NO! then your a dirty unit sucker"

She fine

Just a phase hopefully. The good new is Jesus forgives All who sin and ask for repentance. Not just gays but all of us who fall short of His perfect law. Homosexuality isnt the only sin God hates. God hates ALL kinds of sin. ALLLLLLL kinds of sin.
Matthew 3:2 and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.
Late. :)

serena412

my co-worker's half-sister makes $81 an hour on the computer. She has been out of a job for ten months but last month her paycheck was $19849 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site Lazypay10.com

Jay

My first love was a girl but I'm gay.

Why do people confuse love with sex all the time....

Jen648

That's why the rappers, hip hop and others wear their pants down below their a$$. It's to let others in the industry know you are willing to take in the a$$. That's how "the industry" works. Got to join the sodomy club. Wives and girlfriends are just a cover up and used to breed.

cdm8513