Aretha Franklin

I Want to Be the Next 'American Idol' Judge

7/15/2012 5:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0715_aretha-franklin_tmz
Dry your tears, "Idol" fans -- Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez are out, but something even better might be in store for you ... Aretha Franklin is officially putting her hat in the ring to be the next judge.

The Queen of Soul herself sent out an email Saturday saying, "Yes, I am interested as a judge," when asked about a future role in the singing competition.

The 18-time Grammy winner would come as a replacement judge for the next season after both Tyler and Lopez bowed out last week.

Neither Fox, nor Freemantle Media -- the honchos behind "Idol" -- have commented on the legendary singer's interest ... yet.

If Aretha does become a judge, all we can say is ... R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Grandma Cracker

This would be GREAT!

Pompano Ann

This would be great, would luv to see that!

static

No question she has the creds but in addition to being the Queen of Soul she is also the Queen of Divas, Good luck getting her on a plane.

Pascal Payant

They need judges that are doing something now. they need relevate judge. not old peoples that young kid can't relate. that's killing the rating right there.

sue

She is great, but think they need younger hip judges.
Could this be the end of Idol????

Carl

I think AI is on its last legs, but since they are going to continue the show I think Aretha would be a fantastic judge. Unlike Jennifer or Paula, she has a true singing voice and the contestants could learn a lot from her.

malia

I mean no disrespect but she is no longer relevant. She will not bring in viewers. If it was the year 1960... then she would be a good pick. Ms. Franklin needs to put her hand down... she will not be picked

Becky

Queen Aretha may not draw the desired youthful demographic to the show, but if anyone was more overqualified to be a judge on this singing competition, than Aretha, I cannot think of one. She'd be a delightful panelist in my book. Use her instead of Randy who'd probably be happy to be relieved from his duties at this point, start fresh with two other panelists who are relevant in the industry, and maybe A.I. will regain some viewers. They lost me last year, and I never thought that would happen. J Lo and her faux sincerity got to me.

DaveT

r-e-s-p-e-c-t....find out what it means to me......r-e-s-p-E-c-t....justa justa justa justa justa justa justa justa...justa little bit....sock it to me sockittome sockittome sockittome sockittome sockittome sockittome sock it to me...ree-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-respect!

Flying Blind

too old, out of touch, next!

hfn

i will watch every show if it is her...............lots of times we only skim the audition and hit the regular part just a bit here and there since simon and paula left. aretha comes on and that'll change fo shor. is dolly parton interested???? can we watch dolly and aretha figuring out america's next idol with randy jackson mentoring? can we, huh huh? dolly will you, would you:)

Kelly

Oh hell no.

Aretha, stay your fat ass home PLEASE.

TRUTHSAYER

If they can get an actual SINGER (who has the knowledge & been-there) I'd actually watch this show!

(Haven't watched since season 1, btw.)

StevenB

She does know that the job requires a lot of travel, right?

jjh