Dane Cook Apologizes

for Massacre Joke

-- 'Bad Judgment Call'

7/27/2012 2:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0727_dane_cook_tmz
Dane Cook has issued an apology for cracking a joke about the "Dark Knight Rises" massacre ... saying he regrets telling the joke ... and admits it was a "bad judgment call."

Cook just posted a statement on Twitter saying, "I am devastated by the recent tragedy in Colorado & did not mean to make light of what happened."

"I made a bad judgment call with my material last night & regret making a joke at such a sensitive time. My heart goes out to all of the families & friends of the victims."

As we previously reported, Cook's controversial joke went something like this ... The Batman movie is so bad, had the killing spree not occurred, the people inside of the theater would have been begging for someone to shoot them.

The whole thing went down Thursday night at The Laugh Factory on the Sunset Strip ... and was captured on tape. The footage was later posted to the website DailyCaller.com.

coooool

Get over it people. Jokes are told everyday about 9/11, the holocaust, helen keller, etc Come On. Get over it! Bad **** happens, and comedians try to make it a joke. Boo ****ing hoo. Get over yourselves as well. You whiny little bitches.

DingoDongoDinkyDink

What the **** does it take to get people to understand that Dane Cook has never been funny? Apparently nobody received that memo from the beginning.

DingoDongoDinkyDink

May I reminded everyone how Dane Cook's words would create mass hysteria. Apparently, the man would just simply breathe into the mic and everyone would laugh uncontrollably. It was the most confusing time for me. I could not figure out what every asshat was prescribed because he was the most unfunny ****ing person I have ever seen or heard. Truly people were on some heavy **** at that time. Now everyone seems to regret it. A sign that things might turn for the better finally.

coooool

its so funny to me that everyone is calling him "unfunny" saying that hes a nobody....yet he's the one with millions of dollars why you guys are sitting on your stupid fat asses working at McDonalds for minimum wage. LOL GO DANE I GOT YOUR BACK BABE!

alisemaria

Comedians cross lines to get a laugh & no one's laughing. If you don't have an audience, you don't have a job.

Bridget

The only reason he apologized is because it would have damaged his "career". And to add insult to injury the joke wasn't even funny. And if you thought it was funny you are WAY to easily amused. Infact my little neice who laughs at shooting rubber bands would think that joke was stupid.

And for the people saying the ones upset are whiny. Hey, why don't you try to be one of the people who lives in the area and calling everyone you know, who might have gone to this, to make sure if they are okay. And panicking when you can't get ahold of someone( I know of atleast 2 other posters here that went through that). And the next day driving by the theater and seeing dozens if not hundreds of people across the street from it just staring in disbelief. And then have some :bleep: "comedian" in california joking about the situation a week later. Lets see how you would feel about that. I have every right to be mad at him.

And the people that don't live here in colorado that are angry, are probibly angry because they have some decency and sensitivity to what other people are going through. Because they actually care that their fellow human beings are hurting and may not be in the mood just yet to joke.

And if you think I and the other posters from colorado are mad.... I hope to god the people that were hurt or lost someone don't come to this site to see some of the fine people saying "hey lighten up, it was just a joke" .

anne10

What an idiot you are! If you think that the only thing that's important to everybody is money, you're a pitiful hot mess. Stick with him--two of a kind---both using outdated phrases too.

Wtfsmh

This is what a dumb mofo looks like folks

Elle

I like you, but after this insensitive joke...I no longer do. Or maybe it was from your last TV show which had the most vulgar and unfunny material I have have seen or heard??? I think mostly b/c of the latter.

Malin

The only thing Dane Cook needs to apologize for are those disgusting pit marks/acne scars covering his face. Dude, get that nasty stuff lazered. It's distracting, especially in the movie 'Good Luck Chuck'...

Regina

Whoever thought this turd was funny seriously needs to get their head examined. He's a dumb douchebag who THINKS he's a comedian. Not only was his 'joke' in poor taste, it was insensitive, cruel, and unkind.
Look here turd man, you can control what comes out of your mouth. Not everything is ripe for humour, especially something this sensitive. Then you tried to cover with the standard bull**** answer that everyone says when they got caught saying something innapropriate and should never have been said. Just go away already, your 15 minutes of fame ended when you broke up with Kate Hudson.

Skunky Choom

Going forward he should just incorporate the inevitable apology into the joke. But then, he couldn't get any pub that way, could he?

He took the time to formulate the joke but it never occurred to him that it might be insensitive to tell it?

Insincere, calloused, cynical, opportunistic, shameless, and, as with all things Dane Cook, shallow, gratuitous, trite and not funny.

Mandy

Jerk! He sucks anyway

funystuff2012é07

Dont apologize. Yea the joke was off color but it was a funy lame joke.

BTW where all your outrage at the thousands of ppl that die everyday in shootings or other senseless violence outside of the US.

It was a joke..Get over it...

Tr0LL666

Joke wasn't even funny stop busting his balls **** happens people die James Holmes is my hero.