Shooting Victim's Brother

James Holmes Deserves

DEATH PENALTY

7/31/2012 3:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0731_rebecca-wingo_james_holmes_2
James Holmes should be sentenced to death ... after suffering in prison for many, many years ... so says the brother of one of the victims in the Colorado massacre.

TMZ spoke with Steven Hernandez ... whose sister Rebecca Wingo was shot and killed, along with 11 other people, during the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" earlier this month.

32-year-old Wingo leaves behind two young daughters.

Prosecutors say they will consider pursuing the death penalty for Holmes -- but will not make a decision until they speak with the families of the victims.

Hernandez has already made up his mind -- explaining, "My sister Rebecca was killed in the theater. My mother is bereft, my wife is distraught and I am heartsick and angry."

"Allow the justice system to punish this murderer. I want to see him sentenced to death and I hope he sits in jail many years waiting to die."

Holmes has been charged with 142 counts for the shooting -- including 24 counts of 1st degree murder.

0731_steven_sub_asset

roll3567

why put the victims picture next to her murderers?

Sarah T.

hey TMZ - you're usually great, however i think having a photo of Rebecca next to this disgusting and worthless human being is in extremely poor taste.

MrHarrybawls2010

Is he Katie Holmes' brother? That might explain the blank, lifeless eyes and having no personality to speak of.

pimpdaddy

He needs to be expired ASAP!

JMP

Gosh, look at teh lynch mob. "kill him now", "shoot a bullet in his head", etc. Remember - and eye for an eye will make the world go blind. I have always been against teh death penalty, not because I sympathize with criminals, but because I think no government should have the right to put people to death.

Tr0LL666

lol isn't everyone waiting to die?

marymac

Life without parole would be worse for him, actually. Death penalty means he'll get special treatment and then never be executed because of unending appeals that cost taxpayers billions in lawyer fees. Just stick him in a little concrete cage for the rest of his life and maybe he'll get Dahmer'ed.

bb

Well this dude sure doesn't seem to value other people's lives so why should the system value his? Death penalty would probably be less of a punishment to him than life in prision - he just doesn't give a sh*t.

Trish

Steven looks like a guy that would have been a real asset to society, if only he had lived...

joe

TMZ TAKE DOWN HIS PHOTO, It is disrespectful to the victims. I do not want to look at this jack ass.

Tammy

Sweetheart, I'm so sorry for your loss.. but the death penalty is NOT good enough for this person... He needs to sit for a very long time and rot.. He needs to be put in a prison that does hard labor every day.. not one of these new prisons where the prisoners get to work out and get 3 good meals a day... He needs to have to look at the morgue pictures of his victims every single day for the rest of his life... Killing him would be the easy way out for him.... Him and his fake ass expressions on TV... He's doing every thing he can to look insane.. But he knew exactly what he was doing...

JT

As vile as this madman is, as sad as the loss of these valuable people are, demanding the death penalty, while understandable, is part of the problem with the US. Violence always seems to be the answer to everything.

life

DEEP FRY HIS ASS!!!!

T.

PLEASE take this pic town...and stop posting pics of him. This is EXTREMELY traumatizing for those of us who this directly involves. I thought you (TMZ) were more respectful and smart than this.

Jimmi

I am sorry for Human Tragedy and all, but; really Colorado, I am finding it hard to feel bad for a State that has had 3 massacres involving automatic weapons and hasn't done a thing to change their laws regarding guns. You are all just victims. You reap what you sow.