Selena Gomez

BANNED from Facebook

8/5/2012 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0803_selena_gomez_main
Selena Gomez
has been banned from Facebook until further notice -- but here's the thing ... it's not the famous Selena Gomez ... it's a girl in New Mexico with the same name ... and she's PISSED.

18-year-old Selena MIRANDA Gomez tells TMZ, she tried to sign in to her Facebook account on Wednesday ... but was denied, receiving a message instead that her account had been disabled for being "inauthentic."

According to the error message, the account was disabled for violating Facebook's terms -- which state, "Impersonating anyone or anything is not allowed."

0803_selena_gomez_inpersonater
But clearly, the non-famous Selena isn't impersonating anyone -- and now she's really upset that she's been unfairly banned from her social networking profile, telling TMZ, "I AM NOT AN IMPOSTOR ... My name is not hers on my page. In fact, I even put my middle name on my FB to clear up any confusion."

She says, "I did not have one single famous friend. I did not refer to myself as [the famous Selena], and I did not have any pictures of her on my page!"

Selena says she's reached out to FB to reactivate her account -- but so far, no luck.

A rep for FB had no comment.

Poule

I saw so many fake ones, is this a new rule?
WTF I hate FB it's for self-centred fat asses.
I like real life and TMZ of course.

flubbergast

how about really banning the celebrities from the socnets or lowering the status on there? like who the **** cares about their known fame or them promoting their **** on all possible sites?! if they'd use fb like a real social net or as regular users that fame rules in fb's policy would be void huh?

this what the failure is. ;)

moxie

Don't worry, toots, you're better off without fubar facebook.

devilgirl

I would consider it an honor to have a banned FB acct. I have no idea why anyone likes FB. If you want to keep in contact with people, then why not call or email? I would never have a FB acct, because not only do I not care about what you ate yesterday and what concert you went to and what toothpaste you switched to, I expect and hope no one would care about those things with me either.

twinsies

Gotta love facebook. Facebook should allow her as long as she doesn't refer to herself as the famous Selena by letting her use her middle name.

lawyer

That happened to me too and I don't have a famous name. I was really pissed, particularly because there is no one to really talk to at FB, they just make you submit a copy of your driver's license and wait. It was a week before my account was active again. Some of my friends thought I unfriended them.

Pongo

Facebook is ridiculous about this. My maiden name is Darth, really. I wanted to hyphenate my maiden and married names so old friends could find me. Apparently FB thought Darth M..... was an as yet unwritten character in an upcoming Lucas film, so just in case Mr. Lucas wanted to use that particular moniker for one of his commercial endeavors, I was denied the use of my own name.. Of course, my family had this name generations before Lucas ever thought of it, but now we were subject to approval of the use of our own name. Finally FB said they would approve it IF I sent them a certified copy of my birth certificate, as if they are some official regulatory body. Screw 'em.

Mandy

Such bs.

bellyman

ANOTHER Selena Gomez? What are the odds?

ManiacalZebra

It's sad that Facebook doesn't realize that celebrities don't have exclusive rights to a name and have no standing to make every other person in the world change their name so it's not the same as theirs. If she's not pretending to be the famous one, leave her alone!

Mikey

Facebook blows, you gotta be an idiot to still be on that.

Louise

If they don't reinstate her account, THAT would be a legitimate reason to sue!!

edswoggle

This girl just needs to make a new account (sorta like a back up) and use her First and middle name only until the snafu gets cleared up. Then she an go back to the other account if that situation clears up. It sucks, but she doesn't have to be completely disabled from the site.

l

hey not famous selena and TMZ: you should seriously think about covering up more portions of your license. safety and security first!

robert chowaniec