Elton John

Band Member DEAD

Apparent Suicide

8/15/2012 12:16 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Bob Birch played bass with Elton John and Billy Joel.Robert Wayne Birch, a bass guitarist who played with Elton John and Billy Joel among many other huge artists, is dead after apparently having shot and killed himself this morning ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... Birch was found around the corner from his home, dead from a gunshot wound to the head.  We're told all signs point to a self-inflicted wound.

We're told authorities have not found a suicide note and there were no apparent signs of drug use.

Birch has been playing with Elton John since 1992, and was also involved in the biggest single of all time, "Candle in the Wind 1997."

Birch has also performed with legends like Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Cher, Sting, The Backstreet Boys, The Spice Girls, Clint Black and many others.

Here's Birch with Elton last year on David Letterman -- one of their final live performances together.

0815_bob_birch_elton_john_footer_v3

obama'saracist

whats even more sad than this man taking his life is the horrid comments on here

Cheryl A.

Rest in Peace. Sir.

I am so sick of having to type that every day.

colette

Really!? A "gun shot wound FROM (?) the head"? Really?

Kabala

Was his head a .38 revolver? Who writes and proofreads this stuff? Apparently no one.

IceGypsy

How sad! Thoughts are with his family and friends. Bob, I hope you have found your place of solace. RIP

Chris

Rest in peace bud!

Poule

Hope he didn't have a family waiting for him.
I don't know if you have to have balls to kill yourself that way, you're probably beyond that stage.
Is it a better world where you are man ? Let us know...

josephgein

Awesome Tobias Growler he's playing. R.I.P., sir.

THX

When I was a kid I thought being rich and famous was supposed to make people happy.

Boy was I wrong.

Firefly

Could the reason he commited suicide be because someone he cared about spurned his advances? Elton's live in lover was caught making out with another guy the other day. Maybe Bob said something to Elton and was shown the door. Too many things swirling around Elton right now that make me go Hmmmmm.

Lucky_130

Alot of old musicians are commiting suicide lately. Guess there aint nothing left to live for.

verlinda

Wow...Fame and Fortune and still unhappy with Life.....R.I.P.

Marc Brenner

A huge loss to Elton's band and to the music world. Bobby was a truly talented bassist. I remember the few times we jammed together in suburban Detroit when we were in our early twenties. He will be missed

CriticXtreme

Besides the great songwriting, arrangements and productions, was the bass parts. This guy did an incredible job and inspired a lot of bassists to this day. Want to be a great bassist, listen to Bob Birch and Steely Dan.

CriticXtreme