« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Junior Seau Autopsy

No Drugs, No Alcohol

in System

8/20/2012 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0820_junior_seau_articleJunior Seau was completely sober when he shot himself in the chest back in May ... and his cause of death has been ruled as a suicide ... this according to the San Diego medical examiner.

TMZ obtained the autopsy report, filed by Deputy Medical Examiner Craig Nelson ... which shows Seau died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest from a .357 caliber revolver on May 2, 2012.

The report also shows "No alcohol, common drugs of abuse, or other medications were detected."

However, a small amount of Zolpidem (aka ambien) and Naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) were detected ... but the M.E. says test results were "consistent with therapeutic use."

The report notes that Seau's brain tissue was sent to the National Institutes of Health at the request of his family.

According to the report, Junior did not leave a suicide note.

0502_junior_seau_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

tucker

Such a loss. So sorry he's gone.

verlinda

Wow, he had demons, at least it wasn't Drugs or Alcohol...R.I.P. JR.

Buddy The Elf

Check for cereal. He might have gone cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

Jude

Ambien is not a joke! Itook a half of a pill and passed out before I could make it up stairs. My dreams were colorful like I was on an acid trip. I was in a cartoon flying on rainbows and being chased my pink bears. I woke up on the kitchen floor and had pulled all of the pots and pans out pf the cabinets and was lying in the middle of the floor. NEVER AGAIN!

gamepro

maybe what ever troubles he faced while living maybe now he is finally in peace

zoe

I can't even begin to fathom how awful the decision to commit suicide is, nonetheless completely sober. You have to be REALLY hopeless. RIP.

Boop

Again, I suggest we turn this into a discussion about mental illness. This is a man who suffered. He was successful in a profession that doesn't want to acknowledge Mental Illness or Brain Disorders.
Very sad, I'm sorry for his family. I'm sad to say he relieved his pain in the only way he know how

writenow

Except that even Recommended uses of Zolpidem can cause all kinds of instability.

CriticXtreme

What you found maybe "consistent with therapeutic use" but they also cause some people to want to commit suicide especially when they have head injuries.

Cj

Another death caused by psych meds approved by the demented FDA. RIP Junior.

dustin

I took 2 Ambien a few years ago - i tried to kill myself (im not suicidal). I ended up in the hospital after
A. Trying to kill myself
B. Getting into my car at 3am to drive away so nobody could find me apparently (i made in 12 seconds down the road and crashed into a pole)
C. Attacked a cop

I'm a peaceful person who won't drive after having 2 beers.

Ambien is such a powerful drug that makes some people do crazy things.

People need to research ambien. Doctors prescribe it, but it's highly addictive. It's worse than Heroin to kick (sounds nuts i know but look it up)

im mom

My ex husband commited suicide and shot himself in the head 3 years ago. He also had no drugs or alcohol in his system when they performed his toxicology report, but had been self medicating with both for years. he had actually been on a bender for about a week leading up to his suicide, drinking and eating valium like it was going out of style. So baffling that one could actually follow through with this and not have an altered mind is beyond me. It's so sad either way

MadCharles

He drank nightly. Even the people with him the day before were drinking with him. This tells me he was loaded. As we all in San Diego knew, he had serious drinking and drug problems and he was near broke.

2drk2fck

ambien is a bad bad drug i was suicidal when i took it

Cricket

I'm betting the brain tissue analysis will come back as Post-Concussion Syndrome. Often the drug and alcohol use is just an attempt to self-medicate for the symptoms of PCS.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments