Phyllis Diller

Dead at 95

8/20/2012 12:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0820_phyllis_diller_article_tmz_5
Comedian Phyllis Diller -- who paved the way for today's female comics -- died this morning, TMZ has learned.

Sources close to Diller tell us the comedian died in her sleep at her L.A. home, surrounded by family. She was 95.

We're told Diller had recently fallen, hurting her wrist and hip -- but her rep says the injury had nothing to do with her death.

Diller suffered a heart attack in 1999 and was later fitted with a pacemaker.

Phyllis began her career all the way back in 1952 -- and rose to fame with her TV specials alongside Bob Hope in the 1960s.

0820_phyllis_diller_footerLater that decade, Phyllis starred in her own show called "The Phyllis Diller Show" ... as well as a variety show called "The Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show." She was also a regular on "Laugh In."

She also posed for Playboy -- but the pics were never published.

Diller remained spunky to the very end, famously appearing in the 2005 movie "The Aristocrats," telling an x-rated joke ... better than comics half her age.

Joan Rivers recently appeared on "Watch What Happens Live" and said, Diller "broke the way for every woman comedian.”

Last time we shot Diller was in 2011, and she was still sharp as a tack -- cracking jokes and reminiscing about her "protegee" Joan Rivers. She even named her favorite comedian of all time.

082012_diller_launch

Previous 15 Comments | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

BETTY Akamissnigger

GREAT WAS HER FAITHFULLNESS **** JESUS GOD YAHWEH **** |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| MYCHURCH:"N.G.SAINT JOHN C.M.B.C. 60612 LEROY ELLIOTT PASTOR^^^ILIVE 2715 W HARRISONC/O FRANSCIAN HOUSE HOMELESSSHELTER.............

ken

we are going to miss her so so much may she rest in peace God bless her and her family

Honey Boom

I am very saddened to hear about Phyllis Diller's passing today. I always loved her and will truly miss her giving us the laughter. She was my inspiration for doing Comedy. Rest in Peace Girlfriend.

Mel. <3

My aunt was the one who passed away driving Phyllis Diller around years ago in Ontario.
Neither of them will EVER be forgotten
<3<3
Rest in Peace Aunt Pattie, and Phyllis Diller.
<3 <3 Forever in our hearts.

Kenneth

I remember her on TV in "The Pruitts of South Hampton". She was an amazing woman, a wonderful comedienne, and a classically trained pianist! She was a true original who never let the world dictate what she would say. She will be truly missed!

Bob

SHAME ON JAY LENO. SHAME ON JIMMY FALLON ! You always mention when any celebrity dies, yet you forgot to mention a woman that was a pioneer in your industry and had been on your show (Jay). I watch both of you every day, but think it might be time to move over to Dave and Craig. You owe Phyllis at least a mention on each of your shows.

J.E.

Phyllis Diller was a truly generous, surprisingly elegant and oddly glamorous woman. One of the most amazing moments of my life was finding myself, a very young and inexperienced actor, sitting in a freezing cold room with Ms. Diller, Norman Fell and Ed Nelson and suddenly realizing that their combined performance experience must have spanned over 110 years. I was nobody, but they treated me with such kindness and professional courtesy and I was in awe of them all. I wish it had been a better project, but I am so happy that I was able to have that moment at all.
I hope that I can find out where services for her will be held, I would like to thank her once more.

J.E.

Terry

The guests were invited so it was no longer private. The bodyguards showed a lack of common sense.
The person who SOLD the pictures are the lowest of the low.
Prince Harry serves his country admirably and deserves to be free to live his own life.
My worry is also drug pushers and the consequences for all of us.

dawn

Phyllis, you are an amazing person and friend. Not only did you make 'em laugh for 50 years, you also kept up with the times, and are a beautiful painter and concert pianist. Thanks for giving us the courage for us gals to do our own stand-up comedy and for your generosity (she gave us a lot of autographed pictures and celebrity endorsements for our Seniors). Always a giver! Now you can make 'em laugh in heaven. Love U!!! You are still the best; Ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaa, Phyllis!

moviestar5

She lived a long life, may she rest in peace.

funnyatic

We Can't Do Anything Now Only to Go forward and like Humor and Funny Stuff http://funnyatic.com

Previous 15 Comments | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13