Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

Seldombinlaid

West sucks as bad as Chipmunk Brown. Why don't you just finish the show off with one of the Kardashians. Trash. West will take the show off the air.

H.T

No God damn Way, this guy is a piece of ****. And in my opinion has nothing to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

debbiedoesnothing

I've never missed an episode of Idol but I'll never watch another episode if they do this. Kanye to contestant: I'm gonna let you finish but first I gotta tell you how great I am. Kanye to Mariah: I'm gonna let you finish but first I gotta tell you Beyonce is the greastest singer of all time.

Woot

Ew, lord, his mouth grosses me out.

And ANYONE who uses "auto-tune" doesn't deserve a place on any judges panel. I mean, come on... I might as well be a judge!

22plays

Don't fall for it. Kanye's people probably put a call into them so he could feel relevant. Then makes it look like they are interested in him Come on...this is arguably the top rated show on TV...do you really think they would hire him?

Heather

It's like they're begging us not to watch. I cannot stand Kanye. What a complete waste of skin. You're making a HUGE mistake, AI! Huge!

Steve

I will not watch if he is on there

esleenda

I avoid anything KANYE since his outburst. That includes Idol. A total loser who thinks he is better than everyone else. BU-BYE Idol.

Nikkidiva

Why these reactions? AI started all the downturn with the arrival of the vapid J-Low.

Sally

OMG I hope not, it would ruin the show.

Symian

I know people say these things all the time, but I DO mean it. The day that awards-show-stage-jumper becomes a judge on American Idol, will be the swan song for me and that show. He is a narcissistic personality and that is not conducive to being a fair and impartial judge.

Really, I am kind of done with these shows. The judges they are selecting now are there for hype and not because they can be of real service and benefit to the CONTESTANTS.

Lilo

He will probably have to jump on stage every week and talk about how great he is and no one appreciates him. Then his girlfriend will be on every episode walking around like she has a stick up her ass, like she always does.

Michell

I WILL NOT WATCH THIS SHOW IF THEY BRING ON KANYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

not watching

I have watched every season since the beginning. I will never watch if this @s$ h0l3 on the show.

Sylvixen

Between mariah's big fake boobs and Nicky's big fake butt and Kane's attitude this show will definitely became a circus !!!! Horrible