Kanye West

In 'Idol' Talks

8/21/2012 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0821_kanye_west_ai_tmz
Kanye West
is negotiating with producers to become an "American Idol" judge ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the production tell TMZ, "Idol" honchos reached out to Kanye recently about filling one of the open judging spots ... and Kanye expressed interest.

But that doesn't mean he's on board -- we're told Yeezy is still unsure about accepting the gig.  The way it was put to us ... "He's on the fence," because he's not sure if "A.I." is in his wheelhouse.

And there's another big hang up -- cash.  Informed sources tell TMZ ... "Idol" would "at least match Mariah's salary" -- a cool $18 mil a year.

It looks like Nicki Minaj is either close to signing a deal or has signed one to become a judge, but we're told producers may well add a 4th judge.  As we reported, the frontrunners are Keith Urban, Brad Paisley and Enrique Iglesias, but Kanye would clearly trump them all.

Calls to Kanye's camp were not returned.

Alex

Is there a way to vote off Kanye in the first week?

I mean really IDOL...don't be an Idiot.

Maybe we get bored with the same judges every week. . . perhaps they should a new special guest judge every week so that no one specific competitor is favored....you know how they favor the pathetic ones.

World Record

If that idiot is the next judge, then AI is finished, not to say it not finished now. I also agree with #9 COMMENT

Memory

I can tell you one thing, as a LONG TIME Idol watcher - if you put that guy on Idol, I will boycot it! NO Kayne, please! UCK!!!

Billy

if that ego head kanye is in i wont watch another episode

O_o

this is going to be a giant mess that i will absolutely 100% watch...at least in the beginning. i cannot commit to an entire season of that bs.

Jbizzy

If Kanye gets on this show, then I'm out, done, finished forever with Idol. I know my little rating won't make that much of a difference, but I'll gladly head a group to boycott that show. He is awful human being. Horrible horrible example of how to live your life. Nikki Minaj too, she is awful. Met her in person, and would have loved to have video of her, and her piece of sh*7 entourage. These people, and people like them are ruining our society and the human race. Just awful people.

Bubbles The Chimp

Idol seems to be throwing anything on the table to keep the media frenzy going.
What is next?....TMZ 's Big Head Dwarf being in talks as a judge after butchering ' My Way'.

Pamela

Please NOOOOOOO, not Kanye! In fact, I don't like any of the reputed new judges, not one of them will help the show-

Bruno

Keith Urban wouldn't do it. He hosts the Austrailian version of "The Voice".

Bitch Pudding

Are you serious? This dude does nothing but put others down.

laffnbear

Maybe Sheryl Crow?

pamela

I cannot stand Kanye West!!! Pompous fool!!!

Jeff Becker

If Kanye is a judge this will be the last season for IDOL. The show was a family friendly show, with Kanye, and Nikki it would be far too edgy for families. If they want Kanye they should add someone like Barry Manilow.

pepekale

THEY TRYIN' TO MAKE MONEY OF KANYE B/C HIS SITUATION WITH KIM KARDASHIAN.
MAKE EM' PAY THE CA$H.

pepekale

Kanye ask them to bring out mo cash. THey Tryin' to make money of You and your situation with Kim.
ASK FOR MO' MONEY !