Neil Armstrong

Dead at 82

8/25/2012 12:19 PM PDT UPDATED: 8/25/2012 1:22 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0825_neil_armstrong_getty_deadNeil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, has died today. He was 82.

Armstrong died following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures, his family said in a statement. It is not known where he died.

The statement from Armstrong's family said in part, "While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves."

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft, which landed on the moon on July 20, 1969. During his three-hour walk on the moon's surface, he radioed back the famous line, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Armstrong married his current wife Carol in 1999 and lived in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill. He stayed largely out of the public spotlight in recent years.

TMZ cameras caught Armstrong only once, back in 2009, where we asked him what celebrity he'd like to see in space and why his autographs is worth so much.

0825_neil_armstrong_remembering_rip

sara

F A K E...they never went to the moon...thats why they don't go back, cause they can't.

jetfanglo

summer of '69........ahh,memories.....rest in peace.... see ya on the dark side of the moon

TheMachine1

This man is beyond celebrity he will be remembered thousands of years from now.

Meggie24

Thank you for that "one small step".

Melissa

Thank you Mr. Armstrong for making time stand still for a young girl in the summer of 1969.

Throwback kid

Reporting on actual news for a change instead of those horrible Kardashians is one small step for man, one giant step for TMZ!

Sammwells Pariss

in just meet ASTRONAUT CAPTAIN DICK RICHARDS AT THEE TOORANCE LIBRARY.. SAD TO HEAR ..

Maggie

RIP MR ARMSTRONG. He was in my town promoting a space project my f -in -law was working on. My husband being the goof ball asked him if he could photograph his feet. He laughed a hearty laugh and said "you'd be surprised how many times I've been asked that." Very nice man. A hero in my book.

Maggie

ambelamba

If moon landing was really faked then Soviet Russia would have exploited the situation. But that never happened. But it's also true that many moon photos were censored out. They indeed went to the Moon, but saw something we were never supposed to know.

moveover

CRISS? Repeat this phrase ... "Google is my friend."

oink

Took the Lie to the Grave. burn in hell.....

customcalendars4u2

Dammit and I didn't even get a chance to holler at him about all this unfinished Alien business I wanted to hear it straight from the horses mouth about what the hell is really going on,on the Dark side of the Moon! There is so much to learn & so much being hidden from us concerning space travel.

namers

Random, too bad you weren't "FIRST!" huh?

An American Hero, R.I.P.

CelebJustice

RIP Commander Armstrong.
Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends and to a grateful Nation.

The Eagle has landed