Clint Eastwood

Reality Show Did NOT

Set Up Obama Schtick

8/31/2012 1:28 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0831-clint-eastwood-chair
Clint Eastwood
was NOT put up to his painful Barack Obama schtick last night by the producers of his family's reality show -- in fact, sources close to the legend tell TMZ, Clint "acts that way all the time at home."

There's been a lot of speculation -- Clint's bit was so awful ... there's no way it wasn't a setup for reality TV ... but we're told it really wasn't. The whole thing was Clint's idea, and even his family had no clue what he planned to do on stage.

According to sources, Clint's family's reality show "Mrs. Eastwood & Company" has not officially been picked up for a 2nd season and they're not currently in production -- so there's no way producers could have had a hand in last night's trainwreck.

We’re told Clint's family believes his speech was widely misunderstood -- Clint just has a dry sense of humor that people don't understand.

Sure.

justagirl

I thought the speech was absolutely terrific! I am sure any attack against the right next week will be a hundred times more brutal and praised by the liberal Hollywood sheople. I thought Clint showed his age a bit, but he definitely has his wits about him and came off funny, entertaining and truthful. I am a strong supporter of the Republican party and I was glad to see it lighten up the mood! And very glad to have Clint reaffirm that not ALL of Hollywood is a left wing nutjob.the party is certainly energized, all speakers did a tremendous job of promoting a renewed path in better leadership for rebuilding a damaged economy and foreign policy relations. Feeling very confident that America is finally waking up to a President who has failed America in every way possible and is looking for a new direction in the form of experience, intelligence and strong leadership. ROMNEY/RYAN 2012

steven katona

attention all americans! clint's got dementia. he's punch drunk. too many action movies. i stopped it after 5 minutes. shame on the republican hawks for using this special needs man. what a shame in america today that exploits the good the bad and the ugly out of american society. here's to president obama and the calling to all of america's heros to get out and make your voice heard. i'm obama 4 life! now we see the dark and sinister side of the republicans. now we see them exploiting seniors for their own sinster plots. now i say to all god fearing americans. should clint be taken seriously? the shame i feel for how this man has been used and abused makes my heart sick. mr obama! mr president if you can hear me speak now i say this! spare mr eastwood any wrath. send him the healthcare team he needs to that in his world he's still the american he thinks he is and give romney's camp no fuel for their fire. we all see the light through the shadows. we still believe! god bless!

JMH23

TMZ...please keep reporting on celebrity gossip and celebrity gossip only! You have no business linking to politics.

Sue

I LOVED! Clint. I laughed until I cried. Obviously he was effective; the talking heads went ballistic. Most of us live in fly-over country and we 'got' it.

Nate

So.. Clint Eastwood hates chair and the gays?

Typicalwhitewoman

Actually, I disagree with the Leftys on Clint Eastwood's speech.

I thought it was a little weird, but in the end, it very effectively reduced Obama to the little man behind the curtain and reminded Americans that our government answers to us and that the real power is in our hands.

This is an important message, because we have a President whose modus operandi is to bully ordinary citizens into submission, and he is supported by a legion of mythmakers, who control nearly every channel of mass communication.

My sense is that many people are genuinely frightened by the prospect of his reelection, and have been made to believe that resistance is futile.

It helps to be reminded that we own this country, that our elected officials work for us, and that we have the power to hold them accountable.

I thought it was a good speech.

3mojoe

I loved every minute of it, a great American. You Hollywood Left can Kiss all of us who love him in the brown eye........

David Vernon

I guess if all you folks were as smart as you think, you'd get it.

Ang

well that's weird...another democrat-leaning news source.

sail99999

Thought it was hilarious. Delivery was a bit shaky, but the content was understood and in many ways symbolic. The bit has been done by many comedians in the past.

Barbara Hemingway

He was not a train wreck at all! He was funny and spoke his mind. You Hollywood liberal aholes are what make this Country so bad!

Barbara Hemingway

curious

Curious why everyone is upset. Clint Eastwood Made My Day. The Democrats have Bill Maher who I watched on Leno's show. Maybe if he will practice up his comedy routine, he can be as good as Eastwood. They really ought to let Maher speak because he gave them $1 million. It will be a slam in his face if they ignore him after he gave that much money. I'll be watching the Democratic Convention next week and hope it will be as well organized as the convention this week.

Marco

Clint Eastwood...
I love you!!! Thank you for speaking at the RNC this year. I have been laughing all day. It was priceless. You were great!!!!

Josie Wails

TMZ PLEASE DO NOT GET CO-OPTED BY YOUR OBAMA FEVER WHICH IS ABOUT AS MAGNETIC NOW AS LANCES URINE TEST. TRY TO KEEP FROM HATING. EASTWOOD NAILED IT AND WHATS ODD IS THE EMPTY CHAIR SYMBOLIZES WHATS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED IN FOUR BORING YEARS UNDER MR. VACATION