Robin Roberts

I Got to See My Mom

Before She Died

9/4/2012 7:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0904_robin_roberts_01
Robin Roberts says she arrived to her mother's bedside in the nick of time after leaving "Good Morning America" on Thursday ... and got to "hold her sweet hand when she took her last breath."

Roberts -- who was recently diagnosed with a rare blood disorder -- had decided to go on medical leave one day early after her mother's health took a turn for the worse.

Robin's mother died Thursday night ... but Robin went to Facebook to tell her fans she DID get to see her mom before she passed away.

"My family tells me momma gave me one final gift as her last act. She waited for me to get home on Thursday to say goodbye."

Roberts adds, "She was there when I took my first breath and what a privilege to hold her sweet hand when she took her last breath."

"Momma knew she wasn't physically able to be with me for my bone marrow transplant. My siblings say mom wanted to spare me the agony it would have been if she had passed and I couldn't be there. That thought was weighing heavily on me."

Roberts says she rescheduled her bone marrow transplant because of her mother's passing ... but says, "When I return to NYC and walk through those hospital doors next week momma will be right there with me."

whocares

I'm sick of these people on TV always talking about there problems. Do you think they care about our problems... NO

pat

Why is this girl getting so much press? She works on a morning show and it's like it's the end of the world. I don't get it.

ria

Everyone has problems. Some worst than others. But because they are 'famous' and on tv, theirs seems to be as if they are important. Whatever.

stu

U haters here can go back to the Hedi & Seal pg.
Robin is a class act!!!

Jonathan

First of all, I am so glad she got to hold her mother's hand as she passed. Robin is a class act. Secondly, why is everyone complaining about this story? TMZ covers news on celebrities. If you do not want to see the coverage, then don't watch the show. If you don't want to read about the story, then do not click on it. And third, why would anyone say anything negative about a person who is dealing with a death in their family? Some of you really need to get a heart. Just because your not loved or admire that does not mean you need to pass those feeling along towards others. GROW UP!

Jordan

#TEAMROBIN

Gemma

If you don't know who Robin Roberts is or don't sympathize with this story, then you're heartless and uneducated. Watch a real journalist like herself instead of Ryan Seacreast's "breaking news" about Amanda Bynes.

Darlene

Very well put, Jonathan. If you didn't want to hear about her then don't click on the article. It's just that simple.

MP

The number of hateful commenters on this post is astonishing. I don't watch morning TV so I'm not very familiar with Ms. Roberts, but her situation is heartbreaking. I will say that she's very lucky to have to good health insurance and a job that she knows she can come back to when she's ready.

wktkw

ohh-I think momma went on ahead of Robin so she could be there to help her pass over t o the other side and I'm thinking that will be sooner rather then later.Her diagnosis is no joke and the treatment carries alot of risks.I wish her the best,I like her.If I didn't give a crap about people in the public eye I guess I wouldn't be on TMZ,would I?

Cheetara

I guess all the mean and hateful comments are coming from people who have no love for their parents, otherwise you probably woudn't be on here posting such crap.

devilgirl

Bunch of ignorant fools posting on this thread. Wonder how you all will feel when tragedy hits your family one day and no one cares.

Bob22

I hope the Westboro church pickets the funeral.

brn2bwild

I am shocked at all these heartless people. Comparing one's cat to a mother. Maybe they do not know what it is like to be loved and admired. Shame on all of you. Karma is a bitch so be careful

Cao

I would say her mother wanted to be with her during the procedure. May her mother rest eternally in peace.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments