'American Idol'

Only 1 Judge

Has Signed On

9/5/2012 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0905_mariah_carey_american_idol_article_2"American Idol" is in a pickle -- the judges start their on-air auditions in New York City in 2 weeks, and only one judge has signed a deal ... sources connected with the show tell TMZ.

Our sources tell us ... only Mariah Carey has inked a deal ... and a good deal it is at $18 mil.

We know although producers are set on Nicki Minaj and Keith Urban ... they have not fully come to terms on the deal and nothing is signed.

And it gets worse.  We're told "A.I." honchos want 4 judges on the panel this year, because they don't think 2 women and a man will work.  And they have not picked the 4th.

But wait ... there's more.  Randy Jackson -- who is being kicked upstairs to mentor -- has not signed his deal either.

So right now ... it's Ryan Seacrest and Mariah Carey.  On the bright side, it could be entertaining to see Mariah as Sybil.

carey

maybe pick from the public!! I will do it for a tenth of Mariah's money :))

Mumra the Ever Living

Wow, they only signed one judge so far, yet Aretha Franklin takes up over half the table.
They other judges better be normal size.

Bud

Gee, there's a surprize. American Idol is like a staph infection that has run it's course and killed the host.
It's served it's purpose and now it's dead.
Good riddance

DJ

Minaj and Urban, I mean seriously!? Neither are a good choice. I would say if it is down to those two producers are scraping the bottom of the bowl. Now, I don't dislike either but not a good choice for Idol. I say get Snoop Dogg and Liza Minnelli, now that will be good entertainment!

Bean

I never watched because I can't stand ryan. So still will never watch!!

janja

Stevie Wonder should be an option for this show, he can only work on the voice not looks and people like and respect him.

mlm

I have watched the show every year since the beginning. There have been a lot of stars made from this show - Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, Adam Lambert, ... how many have been made from the other reality series such as The Voice & Xfactor? NONE. The only problem with Idol has been that America votes for that safe white guy with guitar instead of the real talent in the last few years ... that part needs to change. While the WGWG is usually talented, he's not typically an artist that we don't already have... we need some diversity. We need judges who will chose people who have exceptional talent & are also different, but also to change the voting system.
Also, I don't blame Mariah for not wanting Nicki Minaj on the show, I don't want her, either.
I think they're still considering Adam Lambert as a judge, that would be a brilliant idea, he's articulate, witty, charming, has exceptional talent, and has been through the process - he's also honest without being brutal. He would also bring excitement & eye candy to the show ;)

jen

DEAR KEITH................PLEASE NO...NO..NO...PLEASE DON;T EVEN CONSIDER THIS.....IT IS A JOKE OF A HOT MESS......YOU ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN THIS JOKE OF A SHOW....PLEASE, YOUR FANS ARE BEGGING...DON;T DO IT......

jen

DEAR KEITH................NO...Please NO.....you are above this hot mess of a show and judges.....PLEASE NO......

Scott Christopher

so dumb-i thought is was about finding the "breakout" "new"star? no its about the judges and how much money they make compared to the idols

these stars are so rich that they should get paid couple million and rest go to idols and all staff.

mariah is so full of greed not once have i heard anything she has done for contestants only what
HER needs are!

i remember star search was about the performers not judges-did they even have judges or just EDMcM

dennis

Thats a 18 million dollar MISTAKE....who gives a crap what her opinion is....and when was the last time she had a hit.....MIMI? Baaaaahwaaah

jabby

Nicki Minaj ---Why?

kitnplayn

Nicki Manaj, you got pwned. Mariah is calling the shots now. You can bet it was Mariah that got Nicki frozen out. American Idol says they don't think it will work with 2 women and a man now, because Mariah is onboard only if she is the only woman.

dick

Just cancel the show, nobody watches this BS anyway! Mariah does have some nice cleavage though!

audica2

I'll do it. I'm a lifelong musician and I think some unknowns should fill the positions.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments