Britney Spears

Almost Quit 'X Factor'

On Day 1

9/6/2012 2:33 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

090612_simon_launch
Britney Spears tried to back out of her $15 million "X Factor" deal on the VERY FIRST day of production ... after experiencing a panic attack on the set ... this according to Simon Cowell.

The "X Factor" creator just phoned in to "TMZ Live" ... and told us his people "half-lied" to the media back in May when they said Britney only walked off the set because she had to go to the bathroom.

"No one is going to admit that on the first day your highest paid star after 20 minutes has walked off set," Cowell told us.

So what really happened? Cowell admits Britney "had a moment on the first day where she said to me 'I'm not sure I can do this.'"

Of course, Cowell says he talked Brit back into the gig ... and now she's not only loving it, but she's developed into a kick-ass judge.

Cowell also blasted his rivals at "The Voice" ... claiming "Voice" honcho Mark Burnett was full of crap when he told TMZ he had no idea NBC moved his show to Wednesday night, where it will go head-to-head with "X Factor."

But Cowell tells TMZ he's going to fight back by launching a brand new ad campaign for his show ... complete with a tagline created by one Harvey Levin.

LK

WHATS UP TMZ ??? AGAIN I POST SOMETHG & IT SHOWS UP ON MY PROFILE BUT NOT UP ON HERE ??? WTF IS GOING ON & MY LIKE & HATE BUTTONS ARE NOT WORKING AGAIN !!!!

Octavius

I feel like TMZ has been saying the same thing in different ways for weeks get new stories or give me a job...

RJ

I could see where it would be a lot of pressure to know that you are going to have to break some of those people's hearts. Especially some of the really young kids and the over 30's who want nothing but to be a famous singer. I would be hard watching them truly breakdown over you saying no.

ITUS

all these people have millions and take your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IsYouForRealXFactor

Simon Cowell also fails to mention his shady and underhanded move back in May at the Fox Upfronts when he and Fox President of Entertainment, Kevin Reilly, were dissing The Voice as part of the presentation. Kevin even had a chart called "Decline of The Voice" showing a downward pointing line graph. Simon has also been blasing Christina ever since she turned down X Factor in favor of The Voice. He is obsessed with her and it's all well do***ented. Last months TV Guide showed him making snarky comments about Christina and trying to create drama between Britney and Christina. Pathetic.

manaman

jeez they really are vying for ratings arent they

Sassy

People, ignore this b.s. The two rival shows are creating drama for ratings.

Rita29

I’m glad Simon talked Brittney into staying on the show, I would never imagine that this show would be so hard. Simon, Brittney and Demi should make for a great team of judges. I can’t wait to see how they interact. This season will give my Dish coworkers and I a lot to talk about. This is why I’m glad I have a Hopper which will automatically record the show for me with the Prime Time Anytime feature. I love that this feature records all shows on during prime time that are on major networks.

Everyones~A~Star

only a total moron would offer that basket case 15 million she cant even manage her own life.

The Atlanta Church Of Satan

B*ll

sal

what an *******. All he cared about was money. Not her. I want people who work with britney to care for her and like her. What a money driven bastard,

Tyler Kochman

While I love both, I think Christina Aguilera is a far superior chose for a coach than Britney Spears. Christina is such a strong vocalist and all-around performer, whilst Britney is a great artist but not really a strong vocalist and not nearly as strong a performer as she once was. I mean, Paula still dances and sings nearly as great as she did at her peak, and that is I am guessing what made Paula Abdul a successful judge/ coach (also that the Simon-Paula dynamic was interesting to many people)

GoodOnPaper

speaking of talent - what exactly is simon's?

Steelers suck

This egotistical assclown needs to realize that the world does NOT revolve around him! Who gives a crap whether The Voice did the move on purpose or not? All shows like that are worthless and like other commenters have said, Cowell, it's 2012. Us common folk can afford DVR! *rolls eyes*

paul a.

All this noise is just Simon drumming up PR for his stupid show......

Its BOOOOORRRRRRIIIINNNNGGGGG