« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Rampage Jackson

I Was Named After

a VIOLENT Video Game

9/25/2012 12:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0924_rampage_videoFor the first time ever -- that we can find -- Quinton "Rampage" Jackson has revealed how he got his legendary nickname ... and it all stems from a violent 8-bit gorilla.

The former UFC champ says his cousin coined his famous moniker after playing the arcade classic from the '80s ... "Rampage."

For the uninitiated, Rampage featured a couple of smashaholic monsters pummeling their way through cities by plowing their fists through skyscrapers ... it was awesome.

And now you know.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Nostradamus

Yes, it was awesome! Have fond memories playing it in the arcade as a kid.

manbearpig

if you look around, you can find this game and many others out there. i once had mame and hundreds of other roms until my hard drive crashed. bummer.

LK

WHEN RAMPAGE WAS 1 OF THE COACH'S ON THAT UFC FIGHTING SHOW & HE TOLD THE OTHER COACH (CAN'T REM HIS NAME ) "U WANNA TREAT ME LIKE A SUCKER THAN COME LICK ON ME" LOL IT WAS 2 FUNNY !!!!

david96706

That game cost me many quarters in the arcade.

cobrazombie

LOL, today's youngsters wouldn't even know about this game. I played Rampage on my HOME COMPUTER back in 1987.

lbs

One of the top 10 multiplayer games of all time...arcades will never be the same...

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Thanks for the clarification. I thought you should have been named for a body orifice. Azz_whole.

Max

Tempest, Hyperball, Gravitar or Robotron would have all been better. Rampage was a crapppy game.

I am Spartacus

What do you mean for the first time? If you know or follow Quinton he's said this in the past many times.

Nicole

It's funny, I never really thought of it as violent (maybe because of the graphics at the time.) It was a really fun game, cool that he's named after it!

Carl

That Nintendo version you are showing has noticeably worse graphics than the arcade version.